SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Old 14-07-07, 07:51 AM   #1
2mths

Default So what's this parking rear wheel to the curb business about? 'n' other stuff

I can only guess it's so that you have all the hassle getting into the space? And I suppose with poxy side stand only bikes they all lean the same way?

Oh and 'pologies for the two space effort last night With my precious two tone paintwork that really did only look like a solo space to a country bumpkin.

Given that my London riding experiance was all outside rush hour (I think) F it must be a nightmare. Based on my observations my solution to congestion problems would be to get all the firkin cab & buses off the road. I appreciate that I probably don't know what 'real' filtering is but didn't think you could get more than a fag paper in some of gaps that were left between the buses let alone a bike.

Whilst I'm on something of a Wide Eyed wibble... traffic cameras - speed and lights. They are everywhere. We came in on the A40 (I think) and the bloody things were everywhere. Reckon mebe saw as many as there are in my county.

Finally - navigation. No idea where I was, how I got there or how I got home. Joy.
Finally
Old 14-07-07, 11:16 AM   #2
Bear

Default Re: So what's this parking rear wheel to the curb business about? 'n' other stuff

Partly, yes it's so it's easier to fit more bikes in. Partly it's because (with a heavier bike than the SV) it can be difficult to pull the bike away from the usual dip towards the curb.

There are probably other reasons too but i can't think of them.

Don't worry too much about filtering if you don't have to do it all the time it'll seem weird. I do it coz i'm comfortable with doing it. It's the biggest part of my biking experience, and I find it weirder to corner properly on country lanes...
Old 14-07-07, 12:18 PM   #3
anna
Mega Poster

Default Re: So what's this parking rear wheel to the curb business about? 'n' other stuff

Dont worry when i first started riding in london I swore I would never filter and, I am no where near as good at filtering as the other london bods but it's just a bit of time and experiance and more importantly what you feel comfortable with.

Take it at your own pace and the rest will come. As for parking in London I still have to get help from passers by to get my bike out of bike bays sometime as I cant shift the scooters away from my bike and others dont realise how much the sv leans over and getting it off the side stand can proove challanging at times.. but then i'm only little and dont find it as easy as others.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-07, 01:09 PM   #4
Davies

Yep, what the others have said

When I had the SV, because of the angle it leant over at (as anna has pointed out) I use to park it a bit diagonal just so that I had enough space to lean it back up. Others probably thought I was a bit of a selfish g1t, but it saved me having to bash/move said scooters and bikes out of the way. Haven't tried it with Rictus' scooter yet

Last edited by Davies; 14-07-07 at 01:11 PM.
Old 14-07-07, 07:12 PM   #5
laMon

...as to filtering on a Friday night, nothing better then getting passed Ferrari or porsche or the like with half inch spare and go wroooom
Old 14-07-07, 07:17 PM   #6
wheelnut

I suppose it helps it falling off the stand too if the back tyre is against the kerb and taking out 3000 other bikes domino style
Old 14-07-07, 08:57 PM   #7
2mths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Don't worry too much about filtering if you don't have to do it all the time it'll seem weird.
Well I thought I could filter at least a little bit. I was looking forward to having a go at London filtering, but I really couldn't see the gaps I was expecting to. I do like the wide one way streets though were you can get a 'nip' on. I look forward to following someone at some point to observe how they deal with the traffic. Prolly SoulKiss as he's offered to guide me into the Soho Sq. if I need it (and having now been there I know a guide would save me about an hour on the journey - and that's just from the north circular!

Cheers folks - I'll try parking better next time, that or I'll beg, borrow or steal a scooter to justify my bad parking
Old 14-07-07, 09:09 PM   #8
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mths View Post
Well I thought I could filter at least a little bit. I was looking forward to having a go at London filtering, but I really couldn't see the gaps I was expecting to. I do like the wide one way streets though were you can get a 'nip' on. I look forward to following someone at some point to observe how they deal with the traffic. Prolly SoulKiss as he's offered to guide me into the Soho Sq. if I need it (and having now been there I know a guide would save me about an hour on the journey - and that's just from the north circular!

Cheers folks - I'll try parking better next time, that or I'll beg, borrow or steal a scooter to justify my bad parking
Did I miss you????

I wandered past with my folks in tow at some point (not sure of time, but we had just seen Shrek3)

Offer of a guide in is still open, we can even stop somewhere on the way and I can show you how to park :P

David

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-07, 09:16 PM   #9
2mths

Hello!

Me & Jar came down as I threatened. Meant to get there for 6ish, arrived I'm guessing 7ish but could only stay till 8ish as we were supposed to be getting back to go out for a meal.

Guide next time would be ace!

See you soon!
Old 15-07-07, 10:37 AM   #10
CoolGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mths View Post
I was looking forward to having a go at London filtering, but I really couldn't see the gaps I was expecting to.
Apart from a couple of places in shaftesbury ave, it's usually not a problem. Were you giving yourself enough space and positioning yourself to to see the gaps properly?

(or put me on the back, I'll 'steer' you through!)