SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-06-18, 01:46 PM   #11
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Replacing Fork Springs, Advice Needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste12100 View Post
O, yeah I need to do that. I’ve been looking around, i’ve never welded anything, can i use jb weld?
Also after looking around, do I need to drill any additional holes or anything?

Or do i just strip them down, get new springs, full holes.
Then put them back together with the new oil?
its best to weld. dont use jbweld as it will come out. any local garage with a welder will weld the holes for a few £.

if push comes to shove then countersink the hole a little and put a countersunk screw in with a good oil resistant threadlock and leave overnight then dress the head off. dont blame me if they come out though.

you dont need to do anything else with other holes unless your using emulators.

if i had know earlier i could have done "swap out" dampers as i have a set spare but i wont be at the workshop for a few weeks.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-18, 10:27 AM   #12
ste12100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
its best to weld. dont use jbweld as it will come out. any local garage with a welder will weld the holes for a few £.

if push comes to shove then countersink the hole a little and put a countersunk screw in with a good oil resistant threadlock and leave overnight then dress the head off. dont blame me if they come out though.

you dont need to do anything else with other holes unless your using emulators.

if i had know earlier i could have done "swap out" dampers as i have a set spare but i wont be at the workshop for a few weeks.
sorry about the late response, thanks anyways. I know someone at a local car garage, i'll see if they're able to do it. Are there any spring you recommend (mainly street riding)? I'm not sure if i need linear or progressive ones tbh.
ste12100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-18, 02:23 PM   #13
Bibio
Mega Poster

get linear springs.

https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/su...ngs-03-12.html +£10 postage

Last edited by Bibio; 13-06-18 at 02:33 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-18, 03:27 PM   #14
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste12100 View Post
Being an idiot i just realised the rust is actually above the part where the forks are mounted to the frame, so in theory the fork shouldn't go that far in.

Just wondering, does just changing the oil make a difference? I feel i'm, easily able to push the front down, (i'm 13.5 stone 85kg) would just changing the oil to 15w make a difference.

I'm trying to limit how much i spend on it, as i've recently passed my A licence up from an A2, so i'll probably look to change it next season.(I'm putting new tyres and possible chain on it already, so i thought while the wheels are off i could look at the folks)

Id say spend the money on the suspension then keep the bike. It will see you right for many years. Bigger better newer bikes are not really that much more fun than a well sorted sv. You will save a lot of money for petrol and going places.
Old 13-06-18, 07:21 PM   #15
yokohama

Or you could buy my modded forks. (shameful marketing pitch!).
Just plug and play.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote