SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: to scottoiler or not to scottoiler.....that is the question.
yes 15 57.69%
no 11 42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-04, 08:11 PM   #1
chutz

Default What lube do you use?

I have just bought some Castrol Chain Wax on a friend's recommendation but I hear the Wurth Dry Chain Lube is good stuff. What do you guys think is the best for anti-flick and protection? The Suzuki stuff I bought when I got the bike is ****.I had to do it at least once a week.
Old 05-03-04, 08:17 PM   #2
Cloggsy

I said 'Yes!' However, I ain't fitting a Scottoiler, I'm going for a Motrax Lubetronic instead... Does the same thing, apart from instead of being vacuum fed (Scottoiler,) this one is electric pump fed... Was recommended to go this route by a Suzuki dealer... I though, yeah, why not

Old 05-03-04, 08:45 PM   #3
Big Bad Basil

I use lard.
Old 05-03-04, 08:48 PM   #4
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Basil
I use lard.
Yeah, but what about your chain?
Old 05-03-04, 08:55 PM   #5
chazzyb

I've been using Morris Synthetic Race Chain Spray. It's *very* sticky so doesn't get flung off too badly. OTOH, all the crud sticks in it. I've never tried chain wax - it wasn't invented when I started biking. Once upon a time, I used to take the chain off, clean it and then heat it up in a big tin of tallow-type stuff that Duckhams used to sell for the purpose. Needless to say, chains used to run dry a lot of the time if you didn't ride British in them thar days.

I've had a Loobman chain oiler waiting for me to summon up the mental energy to install for four months. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be able to make some useful comments about that... :P
Old 05-03-04, 09:08 PM   #6
svsk2

Been running with Wurth Dry lube for the last couple of weeks. Haven't made my mind up about it yet. Makes it look as if you're running the chain naked! So far, so good though. The Wurth High Performance lube got top marks in a recent MCN test though.
Old 05-03-04, 10:31 PM   #7
curium

I use a scottoiler but I would also recommend 90W gear oil applied by paint brush overnight, although you'll need a paddock stand which tilts the balance in favour of a scottoiler.
Old 06-03-04, 12:20 AM   #8
doktaSV

I will definitely install a scott-loob-tronic-oiler-man on my bike when I get it. It'll be one less thing to forget to maintain/procrastinate about.

Old 06-03-04, 12:57 AM   #9
GooseSVSK2

Default it must be

it really must be a scottoiler.. surely anything else is far too much hassle
Old 06-03-04, 09:56 AM   #10
furkuk

Scottoiler for me, just fitted it. Busters accessories are doing it with a free dual injector for £69 so I bought one. Not tried it for any distance yet but it should work ok. Dead easy to fit on a K3