SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 29-01-09, 10:22 PM   #1
Learningcurve

Default Well, ive had better days!

Got a phone call from a hysterical wife about seven o clock. She had been involved in an accident on a dual carriageway.

Car in front in the inside lane, suddenly swerved violently into the outside lane, reason being that the car in front of him just stopped dead in the road cos she had missed her turning. By the time sarah had seen her, it was too late, she hit the back of the car at about 60mph.

Sarah is fine though, which is the main thing. Weve just got back from the hospital where they checked her out. A few bruises from the seatbelts, and burns on her hands from the airbag going off.

She was driving my manual driving school car too, as I have been off today so I didnt need to use it. She often does that to keep the mileage down on her car.

Am I glad i got a car with a five star safety rating! Mine is (or should I say was), a Fiat Grande Punto. It did pretty well I reckon for the impact it had. As for the back of the newish Honda Civic she hit, I know which one id rather have been in!

Got all the crap to deal with tomorrow now, insurance claims, getting a loan car for the driving school. sarah has to produce her documents at the Police station too (she should have stopped shaking by then).

Policeman on the scene reckons both cars are a writeoff.

Like I said, ive had better days!

main thing is that sarah is ok and can walk away from it.
Old 29-01-09, 10:24 PM   #2
Kilted Ginger

Default Re: Well, ive had better days!

Sorry to hear that, but like you say, she's fine, the rest is just metal.
Old 29-01-09, 10:27 PM   #3
ooger

"just stopped dead in the road cos she had missed her turning"

What a splendid show of competence, I do hope that she either sticks to that story or a witness can verify it in your favour.

As above, broken people = bad. Broken metal, not so bad.

Pleased it was no worse for her, and you.
Old 29-01-09, 10:31 PM   #4
Learningcurve

Luckily for us, a car in the outside lane saw it all, and he was an off duty paramedic. He stopped and helped out. He also gave the Police all the details so it looks like she's gonna get nailed to the wall for this one.

Thanks guys, like you said, its only metal.

Shame it was mine though!
Old 29-01-09, 10:39 PM   #5
DaveP

mate my thoughts are with you... and the wife for that matter. Someone pulled out on me three weeks ago and although i tried my best there was no missing her. Tell your wife to expect some serious aches and pains in the coming week but to remember that no matter how stiff she is and sore her neck/shoulders are.....She walked away which is the most important bit.

Hope you have an easy ride with the insurance and wish your wife a speeds recovery!

Dave
Old 29-01-09, 11:37 PM   #6
markmoto

not good mate, least she is ok..
Old 30-01-09, 12:04 AM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

very lucky she came out of that with just those injuries. Glad theres witnesses. Hope she feels better soon

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-09, 01:49 AM   #8
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooger View Post
"just stopped dead in the road cos she had missed her turning"

What a splendid show of competence, I do hope that she either sticks to that story or a witness can verify it in your favour.
Sorry to hear about the accident, hope your wife's OK

But AFAIK you are allowed to stop whenever you like (say, when a child runs out in front of you)

sounds like it's a bit of a shame someone wasn't able to stop in the space they could see to be clear.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-09, 03:30 AM   #9
markryker

Post Re: Well, ive had better days!

Sorry to hear this Les, hope all gets sorted quickly and easily for you mate
Renthal streetfighter bars, Carbon can co exhaust, tail tidy, seat cowl, rear hugger, front mud thingy, hel braided lines, clear indicator lenses,fairing lowers, crash bungs, k&N air filter, chewys mirror extenders
markryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-09, 05:03 AM   #10
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Sorry to hear about the accident, hope your wife's OK

But AFAIK you are allowed to stop whenever you like (say, when a child runs out in front of you)

sounds like it's a bit of a shame someone wasn't able to stop in the space they could see to be clear.
Whilst I don't think Stu is being very eloquent, I fear he has a point.

Very good news to hear that the wife is pretty much unhurt (bar a few bruises & a large dose of shock). Don't get her to buy the lottery numbers though, she's used her luck up!!

I wouldn't be surprised though if your wife has to take part of the blame. Especially as the car in front of her managed to swerve. That's no comment on your wife's driving ability, more on the crap way the system works.