SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-03-09, 10:57 AM   #1
vardypeeps

Default Poor Running Engine? (Curvy 99)

Morning.

Just like some suggestions on why my engine might be running poor, it feels like it's running on one and a half cylinders and then will fire fine for a turns and then back to one and a half and so on......

For a note I have yet to check the spark plugs to see if the mixture is incorrect etc but they are quite new (2500miles)

I have recently balanced my carbs and cleaned out the holes where my choke plugers go and they where working freely. Only thing is the rubber o-rings on them looked like they had degraded and had a few cracks in them, could this cause my engine to run poor? Can debris get into the carbs through the choke plungerand block the jets?

Other than that I'm not sure what else could be the problem? My battery is getting old now as I think it's the orginal and the bike has now done 20000miles.

Any suggestions as to what it could be? It's getting annoying and worse now and making the whole bike feel lumpy at all revs as well as putting strain on my drive chain with the power not being as smooth as it should be.
Old 18-03-09, 11:55 AM   #2
AndyBrad

Default Re: Poor Running Engine? (Curvy 99)

check those plugs chap. it will tell all
Old 18-03-09, 01:28 PM   #3
thinman

Been out on the bike today and I'm getting a problem below 4000 revs where the bike pulses forward when I maintain the throttle. Any ideas? (02 curvey)
Old 18-03-09, 01:38 PM   #4
vardypeeps

Your's sounds like it may have a large tight spot in the chain? have you had a look at this?
Old 18-03-09, 02:02 PM   #5
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman View Post
Been out on the bike today and I'm getting a problem below 4000 revs where the bike pulses forward when I maintain the throttle. Any ideas? (02 curvey)
Stuck choke plungers?
Old 18-03-09, 02:04 PM   #6
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardypeeps View Post
Morning.

Just like some suggestions on why my engine might be running poor, it feels like it's running on one and a half cylinders and then will fire fine for a turns and then back to one and a half and so on......

For a note I have yet to check the spark plugs to see if the mixture is incorrect etc but they are quite new (2500miles)

I have recently balanced my carbs and cleaned out the holes where my choke plugers go and they where working freely. Only thing is the rubber o-rings on them looked like they had degraded and had a few cracks in them, could this cause my engine to run poor? Can debris get into the carbs through the choke plungerand block the jets?

Other than that I'm not sure what else could be the problem? My battery is getting old now as I think it's the orginal and the bike has now done 20000miles.

Any suggestions as to what it could be? It's getting annoying and worse now and making the whole bike feel lumpy at all revs as well as putting strain on my drive chain with the power not being as smooth as it should be.
Check the gap on the plugs as well as checking the condition of them. I'd go have another check of those plungers and ensure you have not caused them to stick as part of your reassemble
Old 19-03-09, 12:24 PM   #7
thinman

So after riding yesterday the oil pressure light came on and the bike wouldn't re-start. I've topped the oil up (it def had some in before I rode because the window got black after some running of the engine) but it still won't start. The manual says troubleshoot but I don't know where to begin!
Old 19-03-09, 12:29 PM   #8
vardypeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe View Post
Check the gap on the plugs as well as checking the condition of them. I'd go have another check of those plungers and ensure you have not caused them to stick as part of your reassemble
I will check the gaps when I take them out and go over the plungers again just in case. I'm thinking that maybe since I cleaned the muck off they don't seal as well as they did with it there due to the degrading o-rings.

Also I had to run the petrol tank right down on the weekend due to trying to find a station so it might have pulled through some rust etc?
Old 19-03-09, 12:32 PM   #9
vardypeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman View Post
So after riding yesterday the oil pressure light came on and the bike wouldn't re-start. I've topped the oil up (it def had some in before I rode because the window got black after some running of the engine) but it still won't start. The manual says troubleshoot but I don't know where to begin!
When you say the window got black after some running of the engine was this checked while the engine was running?
Just incase, your oil level should be checked on level ground with the bike upright and not in a paddock stand.
Old 19-03-09, 04:40 PM   #10
thinman

The bike had just stopped when the oil light came on. I was sat a stride the bike and looked down so sort of level?