SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-05-07, 04:21 PM   #1
Lakes_Puma

Default Engine braking

Sorry if this has been answered before I have had a bit of a search.

I test rode a SV650S this weekend and found the engine braking very aggressive at low speeds, the difference between some throtle and no throtle was like jumping on the back brake.

Is this normal for a Vee twin?
Old 30-05-07, 04:22 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Engine braking

yes
Old 30-05-07, 04:22 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakes_Puma View Post
Is this normal for a Vee twin?
Yep its normal.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-07, 04:24 PM   #4
MiniMatt

My opinion is yes, this is pretty normal for a twin. You get used to it after a while

Depends what you've come from, if you were on a 2-stroke before then any 4-stroke will appear to have massive engine braking, but big pots = big braking.
Old 30-05-07, 06:37 PM   #5
Alpinestarhero

Yea, its very normal. There are two benefits:

1) you dont need to touch the brakes mid-corner

2) you (should be able to) learn good throttle control, since you can use it more effectivly to adjust speed in the corners AND you have to be smooth.

If you come to buy one, its really usefull to get used to "blipping" the throttle on downchanges, just before you re-engage the clutch - this'll take the harshness of the engine braking away, and in wet condidtions lower the risk of a rear-wheel slide

Matt
Old 30-05-07, 06:52 PM   #6
Pedrosa

The problem is not the throttle, it is the throttler! HTH
Old 30-05-07, 07:01 PM   #7
Tim in Belgium

At very low speeds a little massaging of the clutch can also help like your instructor used to teach you. You soon adapt though and find it second nature to deal with.
Old 30-05-07, 07:37 PM   #8
thedonal

Yeah- engine braking is great. It's really helping me eke out the last of my back brake until Friday when I get the bike to my mech. (posts have well seized, not comfy splitting the caliper meself- bugger! Another 20 minute job converted to paying a mechanic to do it!).

I also use it on corners- really teaches you throttle control as harsh changes in twist can make a big difference.
Old 30-05-07, 07:45 PM   #9
toonyank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMatt View Post
My opinion is yes, this is pretty normal for a twin. You get used to it after a while
Agreed, it's normal and before I got used to mine, at low speeds it was even the feeling of engine stall. No probs now though.

Greg
Old 31-05-07, 12:33 AM   #10
ejohnh

If I change down from 5th to 4th at about 50 without matching the engine speed I can slide my rear wheel in the dry. I used to do that - bloody scarey at the times I did it unintentionally.