SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-12-07, 11:00 AM   #1
drefraser

Default Baffled

Hi all,
Does anyone know how much of a power drop you get when you put a baffle in a race can? I've got an M4 full system and the bike's been jetted for the exhaust in noisy mode.
I actually find I open the throttle more when it's not accompanied by breaking glass and small earthquakes so I'm curious as to what sort of BHP reduction there would be.
Cheers.
Old 05-12-07, 12:31 PM   #2
sv-robo

Default Re: Baffled

hi there,
mines a blue flame tri-oval(without baffles).

they reckon during testing that this can could put out 6.1bhp over most other cans (baffles out)

they also went on to claim that with the baffles in,it created 4.9bhp over most other cans,a differance of 1.2bhp.

whether this is a sales ploy i do not know,but it does feel more responsive when they are out imo(and sounds much sweeter)

hope this helps
Old 05-12-07, 12:43 PM   #3
drefraser

Well if we're talking one BHP or so I'll definitely be putting a baffle in except on track days.
Old 05-12-07, 12:59 PM   #4
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv-robo View Post
hi there,
mines a blue flame tri-oval(without baffles).

they reckon during testing that this can could put out 6.1bhp over most other cans (baffles out)

they also went on to claim that with the baffles in,it created 4.9bhp over most other cans,a differance of 1.2bhp.

whether this is a sales ploy i do not know,but it does feel more responsive when they are out imo(and sounds much sweeter)

hope this helps
They have got to be very hopeful figure, thats nearlly a 10% increase from an end can......infact i find it very hard to believe.

I have a blue flame dual port oval. With all baffle out it seems sluggish bottom end, makes loads of noise but pick up later on. With the main baffle in and the small cap out it sounds nearlly the same/slightly sharper bark but the power delivery seems much much better.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-07, 03:33 PM   #5
carlos

Unless you're thrashing it 110% or wringing it around on trackdays you'll not even notice the drop in power. You may be more disappointed by the lack of sound though but your neighbours will probably approve.
Old 05-12-07, 04:46 PM   #6
drefraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos View Post
Unless you're thrashing it 110% or wringing it around on trackdays you'll not even notice the drop in power. You may be more disappointed by the lack of sound though but your neighbours will probably approve.
I actually like the concept of less sound because then I can have more power for the same level of neighbour annoyance if you see what I mean. I do like blipping the throttle to tell car drivers that I'm there when I'm filtering but at the moment most of them think they're being dive bombed by a Stuka and swerve for cover.
Old 05-12-07, 06:37 PM   #7
Dangerous Dave

You won't feel much of a change to be honest in BHP, pickup at a certain point in the revs may feel different. Got an M4 system on my Curvy, are you fitting one of those universal baffles in the end of it?
Old 05-12-07, 06:51 PM   #8
drefraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
You won't feel much of a change to be honest in BHP, pickup at a certain point in the revs may feel different. Got an M4 system on my Curvy, are you fitting one of those universal baffles in the end of it?
That's the plan. I thought there wouldn't be a noticeable power drop but it's good to hear that everyone else agrees.
Is yours baffled or not Dave?
Old 05-12-07, 07:39 PM   #9
Dangerous Dave

No baffle, straight through full system on my Curvy. The noise is handy for filtering, very handy indeed. Not so handy when you see the old bill though, although I was let off twice when it was first fitted back in 2002 because M4's don't have 'not for road use' or 'E' markings on. The coppers asked me where was the 'E' stamp, I said I haven't a clue and as he couldn't find the 'not for road use' stamp he couldn't be bothered to go through the hassle to prove it was illegal.

Can't get away with any of that nowadays though..... the thought of getting an Akrapovic/LeoVince/Arrow system with the removal baffle has crossed my mind. Although I have an old Remus can in the attic that has the removable baffles, might take some fiddling to get it on.......
Old 05-12-07, 07:52 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv-robo View Post

Is that SV specific? Those numbers seem pretty plausible for some bikes, but a can alone on the SV won't get you 6bhp.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote