SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-03-11, 08:58 PM   #21
-Ralph-

Default Re: Overtaking Double White Lines in Standstill Traffic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
I never overtake on DWL unless someone is going rediculously slow.
We've had that whole debate in threads before too. I will if I think I'm not going to get caught, I can clearly see far enough to do my overtake with a powerful motorbike safely, and I think the line is there for no other reason than the council wasting paint.

I'll filter across DWL at traffic queues as well, again if I think I'm not going to get caught. I'm very wary at motorway junctions and in town centres because of CCTV, I wouldn't do it there. I've also heard of bikers getting done for it by the North Wales helicopter, but that may be urban myth.

Whether we would do it and whether it's legal are two different arguments.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 03-03-11 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-03-11, 09:21 PM   #22
Jordy

**** knows, don't really care unless I have the police following behind me. If I see it as safe and there is no risk to me or others I will overtake.
Old 03-03-11, 09:26 PM   #23
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Not legal IMO.

I think svste is absolutely correct, though I don't think it's about whether the vehicles are deemed stationary or not. I'd be happy to be proved wrong as it means I could then do it myself

This is what the prosecution would throw at you in court

filtering is not necessary.

The exception is designed to allow you to pass slow moving (<10mph) or stationary vehicles such as tractors cutting hedges, road sweepers, broken down vehicles, parked vehicles, horse drawn carriages, etc. It only becomes necessary if your journey will come to a halt for a significant amount of time by not passing. This doesn't include waiting 30 seconds for a queue of traffic to move.

If you have a situation where you think you can convince a magistrate that it was necessary, and you couldn't have reasonably undertaken the rest of your journey without doing it, then go for it.

In a situation where I'm highly unlikely to get caught, like with heavy oncoming traffic and no coppers obviously there I do it.

If there's obviously a copper there I'll be a bit less bold.
Old 03-03-11, 09:29 PM   #24
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Bluepete says no don't do it, Red Herring says yes it's OK, unless you have oncoming traffic (I think). A crossing halting traffic in both directions is about the only situation I can think of where there is no possibility of oncoming traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepete
in the circumstances of this thread,
What were the circumstances?
Old 03-03-11, 09:29 PM   #25
Specialone

Raving Davis got done last year for pulling back from an overtake only about a metre after they had started, I've done that loads of times.
Old 03-03-11, 09:32 PM   #26
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
What were the circumstances?
Click the little arrow on the quotes and you'll see the whole thread. It was crossing DWL to filter cars queueing for traffic lights.
Old 03-03-11, 09:35 PM   #27
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Well, I'd be happy to stand up in court presenting the road traffic act and the Oxford English dictionary as evidence.

If you can actually see the lights, then it's especially fine, as you are perfectly satisfied there is no oncoming.
Old 03-03-11, 09:37 PM   #28
Harry_Mc

Way I see it is 'that's a car queue' I have filtered over solids past police and had no issues... You just have to use good judgement and common sense... It is frustrating for cars tho having bike zip by when they will be stuck for the best part of an hour... But if they don't like it... get a bike. Thats what I did

Traded tin can security for freedom
Old 03-03-11, 09:53 PM   #29
Ruffy

I reckon it's down to rider to make a judgement, bearing in mind a case could probably always be made for it being illegal. I've done both - ridden past the queue and waited - as a result of different traffic conditions.

If you are going to go for it, I'd recommend slow cautious progress. In the event of a tug I can't see high speed, hooligan overtakes ever being regarded as "necessary".

Quote:
*(At 17mph in the eyes of the law, you have to sit behind them if you can't get past without crossing the DWL, but I doubt any copper would book you for that.)
I wish the feds were around to stop cars once in a while, though. I've lost count of the number of near misses I've witnessed, or times I've been squeezed, when pedalling along (at 15-20mph) because some cager is desperate to get past despite the oncoming traffic that he/she didn't anticipate on a narrow and bendy road - makes you wonder what they thought the double whites were there for!
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 06:26 AM   #30
metalangel

Default Re: Overtaking Double White Lines in Standstill Traffic?

Well, I'm wrong and stupid, will STHU now.