SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-09-08, 12:28 PM   #171
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Re: Exhaust and Number Plates - Police view

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthoms View Post
Hi All,

I'm sure you're all aware of the new law being imposed on the manufacture of "show plates"... i.e. illegal from 1/11/08. I was discussing this with a couple of mates at the weekend as I've just bought a tail tidy and had planned on getting a 7x5 plate. One of them told me that there is also a new EU directive stating that number plates will also have to be displayed so that they align with the rear most edge of the back wheel.

Anyone heard of that one? I'm guessing that means the manufacture/use of tail tidies is in the firing line as well......
Don't know where you get 1/11/08 from or what if anything is changing, but it's always been the case that tail tidies* & show plates are illegal (*well maybe just when the bike is first sold - otherwise why would R6's etc. & Pointies go to such effort to get the plate behind the rear wheel) But I don't see how they can make either of them illegal for track only bikes therefore the manufacture & sale can't be ruled illegal
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 09:04 AM   #172
Heed

There are still loads of sellers on eBay selling 'show plates'. I've just had to buy one as my rear wheel ate my old plate on a very bumpy stretch of road recently!
Old 06-11-08, 09:06 AM   #173
Dangerous Dave

You may not be able to (or soon won't be able to) buy show plates in the UK but all you need to do is get them from off-shore, like you do with dark visors.
Old 18-02-09, 12:02 AM   #174
Milky Bar Kid

Just opening up this again.......

I no that the whole row about number plates seems really silly but there is one reason and one reason only that is making it high profile again.

With the introduction ANPR cameras, serious criminals on the run and part of organised crime have started using show plates as away of being undetected. It's because of this that the Police have to enforce the law more now than they did for a long time.
Old 03-03-09, 10:23 PM   #175
fraser01

Unfortunately there is a flaw there..as many have pointed out, they will buy the plates outside the uk or use fraudulent documents to get plates in the uk.

Also they steal a set of number plates off a similar vehicle before commiting the crime..ok when the owner reports this they get a Marker attached on ANPR but by that time they have nicked more plates...

There must be some other way...
Old 03-03-09, 10:37 PM   #176
larigos

there is a company that started to make plates that can't be knicked off a car. It was to do with the whole plae being made up in sections with a laminate across the front and the whole plate glued/stuck to car when you tried to remove it just broke up into bits thus rendering it useless. not sure if they are now out - as for bikes dont know what you could do.
Old 19-05-09, 09:50 AM   #177
Blacktoffee

Since we're on this subject. Can anyone tell me if its illegal to wear headphones whilst riding? i do alot of long distance and heard mixed reports from different people. It surely shouldnt be illegal as t**ts in their done up Novas still blast their music out?!

Matt
Old 19-05-09, 10:11 AM   #178
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktoffee View Post
Since we're on this subject. Can anyone tell me if its illegal to wear headphones whilst riding? i do alot of long distance and heard mixed reports from different people. It surely shouldnt be illegal as t**ts in their done up Novas still blast their music out?!

Matt
Perfectly legal, I do it all the time.

Be stupid to have them up too loud tho....... generally I can have a conversation with another rider while sitting at traffic lights while wearing them.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-09, 10:20 AM   #179
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

There's no specific law against it in this country* (can you imagine the uproar if they brought in a law of something you can do in a car but not on a bike!) But as said, you have to consider if it would directly lead to a charge of Driving without due care or somesuch...
That is the only justification for claims that you may have heard it's illegal.

*I have heard a lot of reports that in France the use of GPS with a headset on a bike is illegal (but unconfirmed)
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-09, 12:18 PM   #180
Blacktoffee

Cheers for that guys, i never seen it as a prob but as long as its not affecting my riding, it cant be much of a prob.
Ta the now

Matt