SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-02-08, 08:43 PM   #1
lookskyward1

Default Electrical failure

My sons 99 curvey has had previous problems with the battery not charging correctly. I fixed that problem by running a fused wire directly between the positive side of the battery to the red connector from the rectifier.

On Saturday the bike broke down with an almost total failure of the electrics, only a small amount of the batterys power was getting through to the bike's systems.

I checked the bike today and found the 30amp fuse in the starter relay had overheated and blistered although it did not blow??? I have fitted a new fuse and re-routed the new live charging wire directly to the positive side of the starter relay reather than the battery and the bike is running fine now.

I'm mystified as to why it should do this, I cannot find a fault in the wiring and why did the fuse not just blow instead of slowly cooking like it did? Does anyone have any ideas, could this just be the origional cause of the poor charging symtoms the bike was suffering from before?
Old 13-02-08, 09:39 AM   #2
lookskyward1

Default Re: Electrical failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookskyward1 View Post
could this just be the origional cause of the poor charging symtoms the bike was suffering from before?
The bike appears to be running fine now, I think I have answered my own question then.

The moral of this story is........... If you have charging or any other electrical problems, check the main fuse on the starter solenoid/relay.
Old 13-02-08, 11:51 AM   #3
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: Electrical failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookskyward1 View Post
The bike appears to be running fine now, I think I have answered my own question then.

The moral of this story is........... If you have charging or any other electrical problems, check the main fuse on the starter solenoid/relay.
That little starter relay and main fuse thing has caused me problems in the past too ... mainly through internal corrosion where it is exposed. Its deffo one to look at!!