SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-10-09, 02:30 PM   #1
barwel1992

Default exhast sealant

Hi i am trying to get my renegade race exhast to seal properly to the link pipe buy just carnt get it to seal, i have even tried exhastsealent and it has just blown it out again its not as bad as it was as it was leaking from all of the slits in the pipe and is now only leaking from the bottom and has a loverly run of sealent thats burn on down the link pipe now, i have also realy given it a good tighten on the clamp but can go tighter but not sure how tight to go

any ideas how i can get it to sit tight PS the exhast was already on the bike

and any ideas of how to get the sealent off the link pipe as it look rank
Old 06-10-09, 02:39 PM   #2
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Default Re: exhast sealant

what sealant are you using? You should be able to scrape most types off, or sand them down at the worst.

I use plain old kitchen/bathroom sealant to do mine, works a treat cos it stays flexible after it dries. I used Holts Fire Gum once, never again.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 03:07 PM   #3
mattSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
what sealant are you using? You should be able to scrape most types off, or sand them down at the worst.

I use plain old kitchen/bathroom sealant to do mine, works a treat cos it stays flexible after it dries. I used Holts Fire Gum once, never again.
He's right you know

I have always used cheap as chips B&Q clear monkey spunk on my cans, works a treat.
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 03:24 PM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

Carbon Can Co, advised me to use silicon sealant
Old 06-10-09, 04:37 PM   #5
barwel1992

ahhh lol im using holts fire gum so i should just use bathroom sealent ? stuf that goes around the bath?
Old 06-10-09, 04:42 PM   #6
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

yup, throw that fire gum where it belong, in the bin and then get some bathroom sealant. Clear, white, black whatever you like, lol.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 04:53 PM   #7
barwel1992

lmao cheers

i know what the problem is the pipe widens a bit at the top of the slits so i get a small amound of fumes escape i tried clamping it without the link pipe in there to close the gap it worked a bit but not much so will try this when i get home

ohh and does any one know what the black stuf coming out of the exhaust is(where the leak is, its like black tary water) ? is it the tar from the wadding? i have read on the renegade site that wadding should be replaced after 5000miles so could it be from the wading been cr*ped up ? if so should i just get some sheets from ebay ?