SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-12-09, 03:47 PM   #1
nickodemon

Unhappy Datatool alarm

I recently posted an issue about a slight misfire that i have wih my sv 650sk4. My bike has a datatool alarm fitted and i don't have any instructions with it. It has a clearfob with 2 buttons. if i press the right button it de activates the alarm, but only briefly. i have to get the key in the ignition and switch on or it re activates. this is a pain. How do i turn the alarm off so that i can work on bike without it coming back on? The alarm has a small panel under the pillion seat with 3 switches? Is this standard or is it something someone has made. I think the alarm is also draining the battery, which is why there is a misfire. Any info on how to work the alarm much appreciated.Thanks, Nic.
Old 30-12-09, 05:17 PM   #2
skyline

Default Re: Datatool alarm

I dont know about the panel with 3 switches, but I have a Datatool System 3 on my bike and it's a royal pain in the ****.

If you have the same system I have, you would need to put the alarm into service mode. Use this if you are looking to remove the battery to put it on charge; if you try to remove the battery in any other mode the alarm would sound.

Service mode is done by pressing the right fob button once to deactivate the alarm then switch the ignition on as if you were about to start the bike.

At this stage push the right keyfob button and keep it depressed until the alarm beeps.

Service mode is now active and you can turn the ignition off. Now the alarm will remind you it is in service mode by emitting a giant beep every 15 seconds which will annoy neighbours and let everybody know there is an un-alarmed bike in the vicinity

Hope this is of help to you, good luck diagnosing the misfire
Old 30-12-09, 05:35 PM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline View Post
I dont know about the panel with 3 switches, but I have a Datatool System 3 on my bike and it's a royal pain in the ****.

If you have the same system I have, you would need to put the alarm into service mode. Use this if you are looking to remove the battery to put it on charge; if you try to remove the battery in any other mode the alarm would sound.

Service mode is done by pressing the right fob button once to deactivate the alarm then switch the ignition on as if you were about to start the bike.

At this stage push the right keyfob button and keep it depressed until the alarm beeps.

Service mode is now active and you can turn the ignition off. Now the alarm will remind you it is in service mode by emitting a giant beep every 15 seconds which will annoy neighbours and let everybody know there is an un-alarmed bike in the vicinity

Hope this is of help to you, good luck diagnosing the misfire
Thankyou!
Was like playing operation trying to clean up my battery terminals the other day
Old 30-12-09, 06:05 PM   #4
nickodemon

Thanks for reply. I found info on datatool website that is the same as what you suggested. I'm going to charge the battery disconnected from the bike. Reconnect and see if it drains the battery overnight. If it does then alarm systems knackered! Thanks again, nic.
Old 30-12-09, 06:10 PM   #5
skyline

Heh heh!

I just forgot, I believe when taking out the battery you may need to find and remove the alarm fuse and then put it back in when replacing the battery.

This is a bit of a hazy area for me cos at the moment my bike is in service mode and the battery is out, but I forgot to take the fuse out. The bike seems ok but according to the Datatool site there's a risk of the alarm unit "spiking" and permanently disabling the bike until the unit is reset

http://www.datatool.co.uk/consumer/s...p?prod=system3 (the last FAQ at the bottom)

Another reason not to get a bloody Datatool...

I've just asked about this in another thread so hopefully this can get cleared up by the experts...
Old 30-12-09, 07:29 PM   #6
skyline

Right, just put battery back in.

What you need to do is service mode, take battery out, remove alarm fuse.

With battery charged, you need to install battery (+ terminal first), then put fuse back in, put bike together then press the right button on the fob to deactivate the service mode.

Sorted!
Old 30-12-09, 10:25 PM   #7
nickodemon

Charged battery, put back in, fired up no probs. I will check voltage of battery in morning. Foundout what 2 of the 3 switches do. The first is for the siren, so you can activate alarm without it beeping (still activates siren if you switch ignition on without disabling first!) The second switch is to deactivate the motion sensor. Still haven't worked out third switch!
Old 30-12-09, 10:49 PM   #8
Ploppy

Ive got a Datatool system 3 on my bike and I like it. I had a meta alarm on my last bike and I could push that bike around the yard and alarm wouldn't even think about doing anything, not good for an alarm eh? ha. With the datatool i switch motion detection off (by pressing and holding oval button while alarm is armed) when im working on bike, if battery needs removing then what skyline said.
Old 30-12-09, 11:08 PM   #9
metalhead19

Ive got a system 4 fitted to my SV and has given me no trouble (yet) dno if its just a feature on this version but can you set your alarm to a simple imobiliser? With mine, if i disable the alarm and then just turn the ignition on and off then the bike will only imobilise itself rather than full alarm. Dno if thts any help but works for me when working on the bike.
Old 01-01-10, 07:36 PM   #10
Shadow

Just so you know datatool and meta are the same alarms, made in the same factory.

When looking for my 1000, i made sure i brought one without an alarm on.
My r6 came with a datatool system 3, that was horrible, i paid an auto electrician to rip it off.

For some you younger guys, one will help with the insurance, but for me it makes no odds, hence why i have a massive chain and lock instead.