SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-12-07, 02:16 AM   #1
tristdac

Default First Gear Not Fully Disengaging

Hi All,

This is my first post as I can't find another thread regarding this particular problem.

The problem is that when in first gear and clutch fully engaged, my SV still tries to lurch forward. I can hold it back with not much effort with my feet on the ground... I don't need to use brakes or anything. No problems in second, third or any other gear... only first.

I've tried adjusting the clutch cable tension many different ways and now have it set to give me the smallest chance of a runaway bike.

I realize that there will always be a little wheel movement with the clutch in , but not to extent that you can feel it pulling.

Has anyone come across anything like this before? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 30-12-07, 03:35 AM   #2
zadar

Default Re: First Gear Not Fully Disengaging

before you adjust cable you have to adjust mechanism that pushes clutch.
if that is not problem than you might want to take look at clutch.
Old 30-12-07, 04:17 AM   #3
en4rab

Does this happen everytime, or do you only notice it if the bike has been standing when you first put it into 1st gear?

My old xj600 diversion used to lurch when I first put it into 1st gear in the morning after it had stood all night.
As far as i could tell the clutch would develop a sort of stiction overnight and even though I had pulled the clutch lever in the plates remained stuck together.
When i selected first gear it would lurch slightly and the clutch would come unstuck and it was fine after that (well untill it had been left standing overnight)
en4rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-07, 11:10 AM   #4
lookskyward1

It sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging. If you are struggling to resolve the problem I live in Penicuik if you want to pop out for me to have a look at it for you. Send a PM.
Old 30-12-07, 12:20 PM   #5
Dangerous Dave

If this is the only problem you are experiencing with the clutch, it sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging (as 'lookskyward1' said)! Check the mechanism by the front sprocket as well as the adjuster on the lever, you will need to adjust it by the front sprocket if you are running out of adjustment at the lever.
Old 30-12-07, 03:20 PM   #6
tristdac

hey guys,
thanks for your comments. a friend of mine (who knows a bit about bikes) has played around with the adjustment on the sprocket. I'm not if we did it right but tried various differnt settings.

The problem occurs all the time, yet is more noticable sometimes than others. There is a bit of a burning smell coming from the engine when stopped at junctions etc... although that might be related to another problem I have (seized choke which i hope to get around to sorting in the new year or crud flyin up onto the engine from the filthy, wet roads).

As my other problems seemed to be common with SV's, I thought maybe this one was too. If i take off the sprocket cover, is there anything obvious to look for that might cause a problem like this?

Thanks again.

ps. lookskyward1.. thanks for you offer. very generous. hopefully i will be able to sort this out myself but i will send you a message if i have no joy. cheers
Old 30-12-07, 05:02 PM   #7
Dangerous Dave

Check to see how much cr*p is behind the sprocket cover, give it a good clean out and you might see something causing a problem but I doubt it.

How do you mean seized choke, is it stuck open/closed???
Old 30-12-07, 05:13 PM   #8
lookskyward1

If the choke is seized on giving you a higher than 'normal' idle speed this may make the matter worse and both problems together may contribute to the burnt smell.

If the sticking clutch still persists once you have eliminated the clutch cable adjustment/crud in the sproket area, it may be worth opening up the clutch to check to make sure the multi plates are not sticking in the basket and not damaged/warped from overheating.

An engine oil and filter change will probably be worth it as well if the clutch has been cooking.
Old 30-12-07, 09:44 PM   #9
tristdac

hey,

ive changed oil and filter about 3 weeks ago. thought that might have helped but it didnt.
funny thing about the choke and idle speed actually. the choke is open on one cylinder i think. i turned idle speed up as clutch only grips at low revs. it seems the engine speed reaches a point where the friction is broken between the plates... does that make sense? dont know how to explain this properly. like how a coin will slide easily across a table but the initial force needed to move it from stationary is greater.

would you be able to smell a burning smell from the clutch plate overheating due to excessive friction?
Old 30-12-07, 11:48 PM   #10
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Check to see how much cr*p is behind the sprocket cover, give it a good clean out and you might see something causing a problem but I doubt it.

How do you mean seized choke, is it stuck open/closed???
know all about the crap behind the sprocket cover, Im Indoors had suze one winter going with only 2nd and 4th, 5th gear. or depending how it felt would give you first gear occasionally. We now know to check the gear shift shaft for crap on a regular basis

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote