SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-12-08, 12:48 PM   #1
PJinUK

Default Jump start question.

Hiya,,,last week I suffered a dreaded flat battery after work at 23.30 hrs on Saturday night..struggled to start it and it wouldnt go.What I am interested to know is this....Is it possible to jump start a curvy without removing the seat to get at the battery.I have heard of people using various points on the bike to do this and wondered has anyone here got aNy info...cheers all for now
PJ
Old 01-12-08, 12:52 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Is it possible????

i dont think so?

you can bump start them, though
Old 01-12-08, 12:58 PM   #3
Dangerous Dave

I have seen a bike with two cables run to under the rear seat, the owner claimed it was for jump starting. But as Hovis said, the SV is easy to bump start.

Last edited by Dangerous Dave; 01-12-08 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Retarded Spelling
Old 01-12-08, 01:02 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Just pull the rubber boot on the starter motor back, clip -ve jump lead onto frame somewhere, tapping the +ve onto the start motor cable connector will turn the bike over.
Old 01-12-08, 01:03 PM   #5
DarrenChay

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago.
It can be jump started.
+ve lead to the starter motor connection (front/bottom of the engine - pull back the rubber cover) and -ve on the engine/frame bolt.
this will get the starter turning as its a direct connection, then just use the starter button as usual.
Old 01-12-08, 01:04 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Why use starter button as normal too? Just make sure ignition is switched on and the bike in in neutral.
Old 01-12-08, 01:05 PM   #7
Grinch

Jump it off the starter relay... Attach the earth to somewhere on the frame and the live on the live for the starter relay behind the right side shutter triangle.
Old 01-12-08, 01:37 PM   #8
SVDragRacer

This happened to me about a month ago. I used a 12 volt jumpstart pack, positive end onto the starter motor bolt, the negative onto the brake lever, ignition on and clutch in, bobs your uncle! Unless you rife the bike for and extremely long time you will still need to charge the battery though.