SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-12-05, 03:38 PM   #1
Eggspit

Default Jump-leads from car to bike .. Advisable..?

Due to the lack of recent use, the battery has become too weak to start my bike.

Would there be a problem with connecting jump leads from the car to the bike battery in order to start the bike ..? I should imagine the car battery is a different wattage to the bike’s, so will there be a risk of ruining the battery or electronics of the bike..?
Old 06-12-05, 03:43 PM   #2
WildBill

I've done it quite a few times lately. Its not caused any problems for me.
Old 06-12-05, 04:15 PM   #3
will

dont start the car, i did that once. thankfully on a loan bike
Old 06-12-05, 04:37 PM   #4
jim@55

i asked this very question last week,,sid squid says it wasnt a prob ,so i tried it ,,,no problemo
Old 06-12-05, 04:48 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The only important factor is the voltage, so don't try jumping the SV from a lorry or other 24V system*, it's easier not to connect the jump leads to the battery, better if you connect the negative to bare metal engine bolt, and under the right hand underseat panel you'll see a green translucent plastic cover, press the tangs on either side and wiggle it out of place, under it you'll find two 10mm headed terminals, the left hand of which is the battery positive wire, connect the positive jump lead to that.

*It has been done, but I really really really don't recommend it, uh uh. Oh dear me no.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 09:17 PM   #6
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
The only important factor is the voltage, so don't try jumping the SV from a lorry or other 24V system*, it's easier not to connect the jump leads to the battery, better if you connect the negative to bare metal engine bolt, and under the right hand underseat panel you'll see a green translucent plastic cover, press the tangs on either side and wiggle it out of place, under it you'll find two 10mm headed terminals, the left hand of which is the battery positive wire, connect the positive jump lead to that.

sounds very familiar advice. Kinda like i heard it over the phone at 10pm someday last week familiar, if you get my drift

worked a treat for me
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-05, 12:37 AM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

There's differing schools of thought about running vs not-running. I don't really have an informed opinion either way, but since a car battery should be adequate to the task of starting a biek, and much more, I don't see any point in having the car running... So I don't pay much attention to the debate
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-05, 09:09 AM   #8
Stormspiel

AA jumped my Mum's fellas Triumph Sprint (new version) started fine, but it fried the Grips...GPS....virtually everything on the bike but the engine .
Old 09-12-05, 09:39 AM   #9
muddycoffee

the way you must jump start a car is to leave the strong car's battery connected to the weak car's battery for at least 5 minutes before you attempt to start the weaker car. This is because you are relying less on the leads and a bit more on the weaker car's battery. Batteries charge very quickly at first, and slow down very greatly as they get topped up.

I have never jumped a bike though, and recently 10 days ago, took my SV battery off and charged it on a charger. Unfortunately I ran it down this morning as it looked like a fine motorcycling day, but no joy and I had to lock it up again and come to work in the car instead grr.

I think that it might be important to get the SV started at least 1ce a week.
Old 09-12-05, 12:07 PM   #10
mattSV
Mega Poster

Muddycoffe wrote

Quote:
I think that it might be important to get the SV started at least 1ce a week.
Unless the engine gets really warm,I think this may lead to problems with condensation - best bet is to get a battery charger with a trickle function - I have got an optimate which is about £40. If I am not going to use the bike for 2/3 days I connect it to the Optimate, and then have no problems at all with starting.

HTH
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote