SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-12-05, 04:24 PM   #1
Freeloader

Default Battery Deado - what now...

Just got my SV650 the other week. Im 17, have a ridiculoud insurance bill, only 33bhp to my name and am finding myself very broke..but im smiling.

This morning i woke up and the bike wouldnt start up (as per usual it took a couple of goes to turn over before starting up) before i dropped the clutch and stalled the bugger (oops). It wouldnt start again and it feels like the battery is dead....from what i have now read it looks like this is pretty common in winter on short usage and i need to buy a charger.

Can anyone reccomend a CHEAP charger which i can buy which will allow me to charge the battery. I dont mind if i dont get auto cut offs etc. i just want to insure the bike will start in the mornings. If anything i dont even mind sstaying with the bike for 15 minutes while its on...

any ideas?
Old 08-12-05, 04:30 PM   #2
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

If its a fast charger it needs to have a auto cut off otherwise you will end up with a worse bike as it might make the explode.

If its just a trickle charger then its not a big problem.

Halfords do a good car/bike charger for £30.

Its unlikley that a completley dead battery will have enough power to start after 15 mins.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-05, 04:45 PM   #3
Ceri JC

I got an oxford optimate for £24 and have used it both to recover a flat battery and also to keep a battery topped up whilst in storage. No complaints. It's a trickle charger, so as TSM says, no problem in connecting it in situ without disconnecting the battery.
Old 08-12-05, 05:17 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Get an optimate, I think they cost around the £30 top piece of kit

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-05, 05:22 PM   #5
independentphoto

Yep - get an Optimate or even still an Oxford "Optimiser". You can get those on eBay with a free wall bracket for about £30 including the postage. I'll be ordering one for our two bikes soon. Hein Gericke are doing them for about the same, so that's probably where I'll get one - I'm going in soon anyway.

Cheers,
Garry
Old 08-12-05, 06:47 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Find out why the battery is flat, a charger isn't going to solve the problem if the battery is duffed or if it's not charging on the bike.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote