SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-07-07, 11:32 PM   #1
florida650

Default how do i jump start my bike

first off where is the battery located??..i work on hondas..not bikes..how do i access the freakin battery?...... do i need tools?

also can i jump start from my car battery?...thanks people...
Old 27-07-07, 11:46 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: how do i jump start my bike

On the curvy, use a 4mm allen key to take the side panels off, then a 6mm one to remove the seat, the battery is under the fuse tray. (sizes are a guess!)

Or to jump start an easier way, turn on the ignition, select neutral, attach -ve lead to a ground like a chassis bolt or suchlike, and touch the +ve lead to the end of the starter motor hot wire which is the heavy cable visible on the starter motor itself under a rubber boot.

Yes you can jump start the bike from anything 12v, make sure you get the polarity right.

If it has been stood ages and the battery is totally dead then you will need to take the seat off and charge it properly or replace it.

Chris
Old 28-07-07, 01:29 AM   #3
florida650

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
On the curvy, use a 4mm allen key to take the side panels off, then a 6mm one to remove the seat, the battery is under the fuse tray. (sizes are a guess!)

Or to jump start an easier way, turn on the ignition, select neutral, attach -ve lead to a ground like a chassis bolt or suchlike, and touch the +ve lead to the end of the starter motor hot wire which is the heavy cable visible on the starter motor itself under a rubber boot.

Yes you can jump start the bike from anything 12v, make sure you get the polarity right.

If it has been stood ages and the battery is totally dead then you will need to take the seat off and charge it properly or replace it.

Chris
thanks bro..i found i needed 2 different hex sizes.... but the part you helped me with was jumping the bike with a car batter..i have a racing car battery (buddy club) so i had to put a weight on the accelerator... to get the juices flowin ....

got it running thanks...
Old 28-07-07, 04:05 AM   #4
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

The very reason I mortgaged(nearly said bought , ho - ho -feckin ho) a house on top of hill, so I can bump start my wrecks with the minimal of effort. I have recently proved ,if you jump down HIGH enough in even 1st gear on a slope of more than 0.001cm (sissy IL4's ,0.001mm)bump the insolent beeeatch V-twin soul destroyer into action and avoid anymore ridicule from former work"mates", your BadAss v-twin will start!
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-07, 12:49 PM   #5
haggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRAMASHER View Post
The very reason I mortgaged(nearly said bought , ho - ho -feckin ho) a house on top of hill, so I can bump start my wrecks with the minimal of effort. I have recently proved ,if you jump down HIGH enough in even 1st gear on a slope of more than 0.001cm (sissy IL4's ,0.001mm)bump the insolent beeeatch V-twin soul destroyer into action and avoid anymore ridicule from former work"mates", your BadAss v-twin will start!

I know better than to try that mate, living on a gravel strewn hill, it spells disaster.

However the trick with the starter motor is fab. So much less hassle than removing panels and seats etc....
Old 28-07-07, 03:40 PM   #6
shelleyamy

When bump starting,pressing the starter button as you let out the clutch helps a lot.

Mike
Old 28-07-07, 03:41 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Er, I could be wrong here but isn't the starter isolated untill the clutch is pulled in?
Old 28-07-07, 04:14 PM   #8
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Er, I could be wrong here but isn't the starter isolated untill the clutch is pulled in?
You are right; unless one has removed / re-wired the switch on the clutch lever...

Matt
Old 28-07-07, 04:16 PM   #9
Sideshow#36

LOL. You arent wrong mate. The starter elctrics are indeed isolated until the clutch is pulled.... explain how that bump start procedure works then....?
Old 28-07-07, 04:44 PM   #10
shelleyamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow46 View Post
LOL. You arent wrong mate. The starter elctrics are indeed isolated until the clutch is pulled.... explain how that bump start procedure works then....?
As long as there is a bit of life in the battery,push the starter just before you let the clutch out,it gets the engine to start to move,bike wont jerk,or lock the back wheel as much.
Mike