SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-08-13, 02:24 PM   #1
GoatMasterUK

Default Bent/twisted fork advice

I had a 'minor' accident a few months ago on the bike and I've been slowly getting things sorted.
I went out on it last night and found that every time I went right, it felt like the bike was slipping a little bit. At first I thought that it was just the renthal bar that was a little bit bent but after 5minutes on the bike, I decided to come back in.

How can I find out if the forks are bent/twisted or could it be any other part!? I only have a rear paddock stand at the moment and I've got a new front wheel to put on the bike anyway, but don't really have the tools for that yet.. But if I can sort the forks out at the same time, I'd get a front stand too.
GoatMasterUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-13, 02:55 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bent/twisted fork advice

you cant unless you get the stanchion out and test on a dial gauge.

if its the yokes they will be squint while riding.

sometimes its the stanchions twisted in the yokes and all you need to do is loosen the bottom yoke pinch bolts then bounce the front up and down a few times to correct it or put wheel in between your legs and turn the bars till corrected.

as well as the forks being bent your yokes could also be bent.

there is no way of knowing till you strip the front end off and test parts.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-13, 04:38 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Written for a similar situation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME! Ages ago
Loosen everything on the forks and yokes, except the top yoke clamps.
Bounce the front end without using the brakes, this will mean holding the front wheel against a wall or similar restraint. If necessary hold the front wheel twixt knees and tweak the 'bars. Tighten everything from the bottom upwards, so spindle first, then spindle clamps, then bottom yoke, then steering stem top nut/bolt.
If it's off after that then something is possibly bent - remove front wheel and mudguard and loosen clamps on one fork, rotate fork, does the bottom end wander? If yes it's bent, check the other one too.
Even if straight check the surfaces of the fork where they're clamped, is it distorted? USDs clamp on aluminium which is soft, if the surface is damaged they won't clamp straight, if yes to this then move them up until the lower yoke is on an undamaged section and go on the the next step.
Remove top yoke, tighten up bottom yoke clamps evenly and try to refit top yoke, do the three holes align perfectly over stem and forks? If no then bottom yoke bent.
Bent top yoke extremely rare, usually if you can sight across either top or bottom surface flat it's fine. If necessary remove forks and fit into top yoke on a checked undistorted section of fork, tighten clamps, check across forks parallel by eye, and measure between them on a machined section next to and as far from yoke as possible.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-13, 10:45 PM   #4
GoatMasterUK

Awesome, thanks for this advice guys. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I have the tools to give it a shot myself. Any suggestions on removing the forks without one of these pricey centre jacks?
GoatMasterUK is offline   Reply With Quote