SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-06-06, 12:15 PM   #451
Ed

Pendennis Castle, in Falmouth, Cornwall, was the last Royalist garrison to hold out for the King in the English Civil War. After a siege by the New Model Army of about 3 months - in which the soldiers ate their horses and then when the meat ran out they foraged for shellfish off the beach - the Castle surrendered in August 1646, so marking the end of the first English Civil War.
Old 03-06-06, 09:53 PM   #452
Stingo

Eggbuckland, an area of Plymouth derives from the name of the estate 'Bocheland' which was held by deed by Lord Heche a jolly long time ago...
see here..http://www.eggbucklandhistory.co.uk/

Also, Crownhill was where the crown parked their army during the ECW prior to their attempt at laying seige to Plymouth...no doubt someone will come along with a dit about 'Freedom Fields' in a mo.

Not bored or anything.
Old 04-06-06, 05:23 PM   #453
lynw

Riding past fields today I wondered why the Rape plant is so called. Yes I know its an odd one, but its always struck me as an odd name for a plant.

It derives from the latin rapum which means turnip. Rape as in sexual assault derives from the latin rapere meaning to seize, meaning the plant name has no common derivation but just ended up with the same spelling.
Old 05-06-06, 10:06 AM   #454
wyrdness

Legendary cricketer W.G. Grace once hit a ball 36 miles after a shot landed on a passing steam train.
Old 05-06-06, 05:42 PM   #455
Law

Phobia is Greek for fear. Here are some lesser known phobias

Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia - Fear of the number 666
Motorphobia- Fear of automobiles
Paraskavedekatriaphobia- Fear of Friday the 13th.
Parthenophobia- Fear of virgins or young girls.
Venustraphobia - Fear of beautiful women.
Old 06-06-06, 06:00 AM   #456
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

With pressure on to win air superiority in 1940, local 'Spitfire funds' were established to allow communities to do their bit.

Rugby Cement gave £5,000............about £200,000 equivalent today..............and the Spit was named Crowncrete after one of the company's premium brands of cement.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 09:41 AM   #457
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsick
Which makes places like Abergavenny even more confusing for people. I think it started being called that because the Fenni joins with another river nearby (I think) but the actual name of the town is Y Fenni, or The Fenni.
Not according to wikipedia where it says the town is on a small stream called the Gavenny and the Usk river.

The ordanance survey map shows the gavenny river running through it, hence the aber gavenny from which it derives its name.
Gavenny is the English name for it, I believe.
Old 10-06-06, 04:28 AM   #458
philipMac

Last Wednesday morning, northern Norway was hit with a meteorite impact comparable to the atomic bomb used on Hiroshima.

'kin 'ell lad.

Norway is a lovely place. Why would God want to break it? Maybe he is testing us. Or punishing them for gay marriage. Yeah. That was probably it. Gay marriage.

We tried to warn you.
Old 10-06-06, 08:55 AM   #459
Xerbraski

The largest brick built warehouse in the world is in Liverpool and was used for storing tobacco.
(soon to be converted into luxury apartments)

The largest clock faces in the whole of England are those on the Liver Building in Liverpool.
Old 10-06-06, 08:59 AM   #460
Moo

Here's a topical one for today.
Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.