SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-03-14, 10:01 AM   #1
Rich Clarke

Default Pointy Caliper and Shock change

Spent 2.5 hours yesterday changing:

1. the front calipers for GSXR 600/750 K1-K3 calipers using bracketry sourced from SV Racing in the USA. (Good service and quick delivery)

The swap was a breeze, although it would be better if I'd have bought the braided lines to go with it as the standard lines are about 10mm too short on the RHS, due to the shortness in line length between the caliper banjo and the splitter block. I just fabricated a bit of a bracket and its OK now but will bug me till its changed.

2. the rear shock was changed for a ZZR1400 unit. Found an 'as new' unit for £40 + p&p on ebay and allows for rebound and compression damping adjustment. I set both to about 40% of maximum as a baseline to see how it works from there.

Again the swap was easy enough, the hardest part was juggling the bike onto axle stands (I turned the footrests upside down & dropped the rests onto axle stands using a paddock stand). I managed it alone but it would have been a lot easier with a mate helping. No modifications were required to bodywork or other parts, apart from shimming the lower shock bolt with a couple of washers to prevent one end from catching with the dog-bones.

Outcomes: I need to bed the new pads in but already I can feel a difference in brake power and control. The old calipers needed an overhaul anyway but I think a swap from two pot sliding calipers to four pots will always bring an improvement. After the shock change, the rear end is lightly higher as the shock is fractionally longer. I'm a tall fella so its no problems for me and this subtle change will increase ground clearance and raise the C of G a little which will add further benefits to the braking performance. The bike's steering also feels more sports-bike like. The shock feels more 'controlled' and a little firmer.

Downsides: The increase in braking and rear suspension performance are pointing a spotlight on the front forks. I'm not sure I can be arsed with the whole 'Gold Valves' shenanigans, so I'll probably just stick a set of 10% firmer linear springs in and be done with that.

Rich
Old 18-03-14, 10:41 PM   #2
brodie

Default Re: Pointy Caliper and Shock change

Interesting write-up cheers, I'm looking to upgrade front and rear too, suspension and brakes. Been trying to get my head around all the variables and have been hovering around the same choices.

I have braided HELs already but it sounds like you needed a better option? Is that because you still have stock forks? I'm looking at the GSXR-600 route front end but wondering if it's overkill as it's mainly for commute, not track.

What made you opt for the ZZR1400 as opposed to the many other choices?
brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-14, 06:04 AM   #3
Rich Clarke

Default Re: Pointy Caliper and Shock change

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie View Post
Interesting write-up cheers, I'm looking to upgrade front and rear too, suspension and brakes. Been trying to get my head around all the variables and have been hovering around the same choices.

I have braided HELs already but it sounds like you needed a better option? Is that because you still have stock forks? I'm looking at the GSXR-600 route front end but wondering if it's overkill as it's mainly for commute, not track.

What made you opt for the ZZR1400 as opposed to the many other choices?
Hi Brodie
I went for the ZZR14 shock as I'm a fairly big bloke and it appears that this shock is more suited to my weight (16st) than the ZX10 option. ZZR shocks are usually less that half of the price of ZX10 shocks too.
If you already have braided lines then you might be OK with the caliper upgrade as I only needed about 10mm extra on the RHS.
Whether you go the whole hog and fit a GSXR front end is a matter for you. I used to race a Hornet 600 and it wasn't till my second season that I looked for a more sophisticated front end option than a simple spring upgrade. Its a matter of cost v. return too. I picked up my 11,000 mile K3 SV for £1300. I don't mind spending £2-300 getting it how I like it, but any more doesn't seem to be worth the money. Just ride within the limitations of your set up and it will be fine, I'm sure. I think if I was going to the expense of considering a GSXR upgrade, I might just go the whole hog and get a GSXR. (I've owned a GSXR 750Y previously and it was like riding a race bike straight out of the box. 126bhp, same weight as an SV and had phenomenal brakes and suspension. A decent one can be had for £1800 or so)

Rich