SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-12-04, 01:32 PM   #1
Mr Toad

Default Tyres - advice needed ?

Hello everyone

Bit of advice needed on tyres

I've done just over 5,000 miles on the stock Dunlops, and my rear tyre is now quite square - it's not doing the handling much good - however, the front tyre still looks like new.

Most of my riding is commuting into central London, so I don't get to do too many corners during the week, hence the squaring off. I ride all year round, so need something capable of coping with both rain and the odd track day next year

Do I need to replace both tyres at the same time

Any recommendations

Trawling through the posts on the forum,

- Metzeler Z6 Road Tec
- Avon Azaro 11 AV36
- Continental Road Attack

all seem to be quite highly rated, as does Essential Rubber to get them fitted.

cheers
Simon
Old 06-12-04, 01:38 PM   #2
Jabba

Hi,

The Hornet's Nest members recommend Bridgestone 020, Avon Azaro 45/46ST and Pirelli Diabolo for the Hornet - I would imagine they'd be good on the SV too - but the Avons are more suited to big miles than track days.

Others that have had a good press are the Metzeler R6.

TBH, I think they're probably all good tyres when compares to the standard hoops that the SV is shod with.
Old 06-12-04, 01:41 PM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tyres - advice needed ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad
Hello everyone

I've done just over 5,000 miles on the stock Dunlops, and my rear tyre is now quite square - it's not doing the handling much good - however, the front tyre still looks like new.

Most of my riding is commuting into central London, so I don't get to do too many corners during the week, hence the squaring off. I ride all year round, so need something capable of coping with both rain and the odd track day next year

Any recommendations

- Metzeler Z6 Road Tec
- Avon Azaro 11 AV36

cheers
Simon
Just chuck another rear on for now, then replace with some decent stuff when the front waers out, which should be in time for the sping/summer.

I used to get 2 rears to one fornt ratio. Got 15k out of a front once!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-04, 01:41 PM   #4
jonboy

Simon, get the Z6s and change both tyres. I'm putting them on my SV shortly after Xmas and am amazed the mileage that Rictus has got out of his (with hard riding) and will hopefully get 10k out of them rather than 5k at most as with my current 020s.

The Contis were favourite until the Z6s came on the scene.

Old 06-12-04, 01:44 PM   #5
BillyC
Mega Poster

Hi Si,

As I was saying to you at Soho... Following advice I received here, and from my own experience, go and have a chat with Mick at Essential Rubber. He'll explain the pros and cons of those tyres you've mentioned, and some other options as well.

In my opinion (which ain't worth much) Get both tyres changed. The Dunlop D220's are so bad, that you really can't afford to stick with them - they're a liability, and will be more so when run alongside another tyre on the same bike.

That front tyre may look like new, and that's why the K3/4 on stock tyres feels like someone else is in control. The chappy at ER reckoned that the Road Attack and Z6's were a better tyre than the 020, and they're cheaper!

Essential Rubber
27 Downham Road, N1 5AA. Telephone - 0207 241 0055

Even if I still lived outside of London - I would still aim to use these guys for my tyres. I was that impressed, price, service, knowledge - better than I've seen elsewhere!

It's a pitty I'm not on comission!
Old 06-12-04, 01:44 PM   #6
svsk2

You don't have to replace both tyres if you're gonna keep the bike on the same make of tyre. Different makes front and back are not recommended. So, if you want to change from Dunlops to something else, you will have to change both.
Old 06-12-04, 01:46 PM   #7
coombest

I think you'll find anything about 10,000,000,000 times better than the standard Dunlop D220ST's!!! I was going to wait until mine wore out but after about 2,000 miles and several very scary moments where I simply couldn't turn in (after overtaking!!) any quicker, I changed for a set of Bridgestone BT010's... They were fantastic but the rear wore square very quickly once I'd started doing more motorway/town riding so I replaced it with a BT020 at the rear... I was going to replace the 010 front with an 020 within a few weeks too but there's no need now!!!

Tou must change both front & rear tyres together if you are changing brand or even profile... If you really can't, then make sure the front is better (stickier) than the rear - it's easier to deal with the rear stepping out!!

I can't comment on any of the other tyres buthave heard good things about all of them so I'm sure you won't be disappointed whatever you choose!!
Old 06-12-04, 01:56 PM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
- Metzeler Z6 Road Tec Feel much like Bridgestones to ride on, inspiring confidence, turning a bit quicker though. currently on 9k miles with a set.

- Avon Azaro 11 AV36 the Azaro III's AV45/46 are the one's to go for here, about 7.5-8K miles from a rear, to ride on, are a bit more flexable allowing better setup into and around corners ( Note:- some don't like the loose feel they give) I've had 11 sets of these and they tick all the boxes in my book..

- Continental Road Attack haven't used these yet, but Ian's (Sid Squid) appear to be holding up well..

all seem to be quite highly rated, as does Essential Rubber to get them fitted. Yep, seem like a good bunch of guys down there.

Simon
Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-04, 10:56 PM   #9
a1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Quote:
Hello everyone

Any recommendations

- Metzeler Z6 Road Tec
- Avon Azaro 11 AV36

cheers
Simon
Just chuck another rear on for now, then replace with some decent stuff when the front waers out, which should be in time for the sping/summer.

I used to get 2 rears to one fornt ratio. Got 15k out of a front once!
I agree with Viney, just replace the rear at this time. Replace both front and rear next time. Cheers, Richard
Old 07-12-04, 08:17 AM   #10
Swiss

Get rubber ones