SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-05-10, 09:09 PM   #91
Lozzo

Default Re: Considering IAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
You think it is better to crash from incompetence than calculated risk and pressing on a bit?

Take example... you're on a road with open visibility and plenty of run off. What is wrong with riding flat out? Worst you are going to hit is grass. It goes wrong, "oh unlucky, well I was asking for it really".

What is bad about that?
The points and possible jail term for dangerous driving
Old 24-05-10, 09:12 PM   #92
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Some dude on busa proved you had risk of that opening taps down a dual carriageway where it is as safe as anything else.

You telling me you have done neither
Old 24-05-10, 09:15 PM   #93
ArtyLady

Quote:
You think it is better to crash from incompetence than calculated risk and pressing on a bit?

Take example... you're on a road with open visibility and plenty of run off. What is wrong with riding flat out? Worst you are going to hit is grass. It goes wrong, "oh unlucky, well I was asking for it really".

What is bad about that?
You cannot be serious? (said in my best John McEnroe voice - mind you I expect your too young to remember him!)

Quote:
precisely.....and thats if you survive!
Old 24-05-10, 09:17 PM   #94
Milky Bar Kid

Reading this with interest.

I am tempted to do IAM. When I did my driver training for work my head was filled with systems, but now, I think they are pretty much second nature. It was noted when I did my test a couple of years ago by the instructors that it was obvious I had undertaken some form of advanced driving due to my hazard perception and observations. And if I am honest, I think that would be the main thing anyone would learn from IAM.

As it is, I have decided just to go out on my own and ride the thing. Tomorrow I intend on going out and just picking a road sign and following it and then coming home when my shoulder hurts (which will be in like...5 minutes LOL).

With regards to what YC is saying, I thought - given the level GG has been riding - his points were valid ones and I took them to be more words of caution than him trying to encourage anyone to ride irresponsibly. I took his words to be "don't get overly confident cos everytime I did, I crashed." At the end of the day, if Cheryl is scrapping the pegs, then as the lads say, she is running the risk of them digging in and causing her to come off. If YC can give her advice on how to stop the pegs grounding then I see no issue?
Old 24-05-10, 09:17 PM   #95
Lozzo

Quote:
Some dude on busa proved you had risk of that opening taps down a dual carriageway where it is as safe as anything else.

You telling me you have done neither
I think hitting 186mph eight times aboard my GSXR1000 on the M1 (twice in 50mph roadworks in Leics) on my way to a Donington trackday might just have scraped through as dangerous driving. I think getting the same Gixer to 170mph on the Baldock to Buntingford A507 could also. Google maps will show why.
Old 24-05-10, 09:22 PM   #96
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post

I am tempted to do IAM. When I did my driver training for work my head was filled with systems, but now, I think they are pretty much second nature. It was noted when I did my test a couple of years ago by the instructors that it was obvious I had undertaken some form of advanced driving due to my hazard perception and observations. And if I am honest, I think that would be the main thing anyone would learn from IAM.
Hazard perception and observation are two very natural self preservation instincts. Anyone who can't do these simple things is dumber than yeast.

You don't need to be taught them unless you have the brains of a dessicated gerbil.
Old 24-05-10, 09:24 PM   #97
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Hazard perception and observation are two very natural self preservation instincts. Anyone who can't do these simple things is dumber than yeast.

You don't need to be taught them unless you have the brains of a dessicated gerbil.

But they do need practice and honing and miles in saddle. show a new rider something which is glaringly obvious to an old hand and they may go "what, huh"?
Old 24-05-10, 09:27 PM   #98
Lozzo

Quote:

But they do need practice and honing and miles in saddle. show a new rider something which is glaringly obvious to an old hand and they may go "what, huh"?

Yeah, I'll go along with that, but having to explain to someone that they need to look further than their front tyre when they are doing 30mph is a bit worrying
Old 24-05-10, 09:28 PM   #99
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:

Nah not a fair comment Lozzo. Whilst my hazard perception and observation was ok before, better than average, advanced training improved it vastly.
Old 24-05-10, 09:34 PM   #100
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Shades of grey.

Been an interesting conversation this one.