SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 29-01-18, 02:43 PM   #4631
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

In fairness some cameras are very finnicky about batteries and battery covers (good connections) so it's worth a try. Could just be a lack of connection somewhere rather than the meter failing - it's uncommon on a camera as modern as that.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-18, 04:55 PM   #4632
ophic
Mega Poster

Google finds plenty of batteries for sale.

It's also an entirely mechanical camera so it could be easily used with an external light meter, if that's not too much hassle. Otherwise, the exposure latitude of colour or b&w print film is so wide that you could just fire away at f8/125 and get pretty decent results.
Old 29-01-18, 07:09 PM   #4633
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Yes, I tried several batteries. It's been a while since I last played with it, I'll dig it out and see if it's fixed itself.

I've just realised that last time I looked at it was BG (Before Google). The battery it took was a 1.35V mercury cell (no longer manufactured apparently) and the light meter cct has to be modified to take a more modern, safer battery. It also appears that OM1 light meter failure is pretty common.

I'll leave it in peace in it's photo bag grave with its lenses. Thanks for the suggestions.
Batteries are easy; cheapest option is a 675 zinc oxide hearing aid battery although you might need a rubber washer or o-ring around it to fit it to the battery compartment.
As Ophic says, it's mechanical and will work with an external light meter or using sunny 16.
First step re a fix is take off the bottom plate, remove the battery compartment and check the wire hasn't corroded and that the solder joint is OK. Could also check for continuity from the battery tension spring to the camera base. That's where I am at the moment. I have continuity so the circuit seems fine but the lightmeter still isn't working. Will have to take the top plate off and look there next.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-18, 08:43 PM   #4634
Kenzie

It seems such a shame to leave it tucked away. You can always get a light meter app or use the sunny 16 rule if not.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-18, 09:59 AM   #4635
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Practice makes perfect! People say if you get one keeper off a roll it's average - seems a bit pessimistic but you could look at it that way.

Three Agfa Super Silettes turned up last night. A guy on the rangefinder forum wants a hand with an Ambi Silette (which is much more sophisticated, now I've finally googled it) but he bought one Super after another in the hope of getting a working one. They're all basically okay, they all have sticky shutters and useless timers, but a few spots on the glass aside they're good. Nice feeling camera, VF is big and the RF is bright on all of them.
Old 30-01-18, 07:26 PM   #4636
Kenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
You haven't seen the quality of the pictures I have taken
You should see some of rubbish I can produce! Johnny, I had a play around with the Seagull tonight, its not the blades that were stucking but the coc-king lever. Its freed off again so I'll see how it goes.

Last edited by Kenzie; 30-01-18 at 09:14 PM.
Old 30-01-18, 09:14 PM   #4637
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Cool. Check if it's bent, maybe fouling another part (may or may not be witness marks), and that it springs back easily. I think in the shutter of my folding Contessa everything looked good but one lever (despite soaking) needed taking off to clean the gunge out behind it on the pivot, after that and a drop of oil it was all fine.
Old 30-01-18, 09:38 PM   #4638
Kenzie

I had popped the front off in order to get the shutter off, so I happened to be playing with it and noticed the lever stuck. After a quick prod it moved. Fingers crossed as the camera is pretty much mint! If it does it again I'll look closer at the lever.
Old 31-01-18, 06:57 AM   #4639
Kenzie

I have been exercising the shutter on the Seagull. If its left for a while it will still fire but it will hesitate slightly, only once though. I could cover the lens, fire a shot then re-coc.k the shutter and shoot the frame as normal. It defo needs a service.
Old 31-01-18, 08:34 AM   #4640
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

You might get away with flushing it with lighter fluid then. If you set it to a longer time e.g. 1/5s at which point(s) does it hesitate?