SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-05-19, 09:02 PM   #51
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Today, I have been mostly....

.....gardening yet again!

Quite a bit of stuff will be ready to go in the beds soon.

Sweetcorn and poached egg plants are coming through now.

Sweetcorn and poached egg plants
by garynortheast

Cucumbers, courgettes, and tomatoes.

Cucumbers, tomatoes, and courgettes
by garynortheast

The frost had my runner beans Four of them survived the rest have lost their leaves and growing tip so I think they've had it. I shall leave them for a couple of weeks to see if the recover, but in the meantime I've sowed seed straight in to the ground on the adjacent supports.

Frosted beans
by garynortheast

Peas are now in and peasticks in place. I've sown a few more peas straight to the soil in the gaps.

Peas
by garynortheast

Cleared all the bracken and brambles away from my gooseberry bushes and cut out all the dead wood. They are in need of a serious pruning but it'll have to wait till the end of the season now.

Gooseberry bushes
by garynortheast

Just another couple of rows of peas, and the sweetcorn to go now and this lower bed is about planted.

Lower bed
by garynortheast
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-19, 06:04 PM   #52
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Nice. My parsnips are now sown as well as the first half row of beetroot. Runners and pumpkins are just popping up in their pots in the greenhouse and the first batch of lettuce is well up via the utility room windowsill (they seem to like a cool place to germinate). The bamboo poles for the bean supports are in place now so hopefully I get enough plants this year - all bar four failed to germinate last year as it went from snow to full on summer in two days and it was too hot.
Old 20-05-19, 09:27 PM   #53
daktulos

My garden has suffered badly from neglect, I'm afraid, but I did make a lovely rhubarb crumble from it this weekend. Pink gooseberries to follow ...
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-19, 12:57 PM   #54
garynortheast
Mega Poster

....gardening again. Well, yesterday really.

A friend of mine up the lane grew Russian Kale last year. Somehow it's seeded itself all over the place. So while I was preparing a patch in which to put my courgettes I lifted and potted on these. They're looking much happier this morning now that they've settled in. This does mean I will need to tackle the top veg bed, as I don't currently have anywhere to plant any brassicas. I'll get enough done initially to plant out the Kale and then see if there's time to do more of it in order maybe to plant some Purple Sprouting Broccoli as well.

Russian Kale
by garynortheast

The first flower on the unfortunately named "Rosa Golden Showers" has opened. Most of the leaves have already fallen off due to blackspot, but the rose has been seriously neglected so not able to find disease too well. I've just cleared the area around it of weeds and the like, built a low retainer around the base, filled it with well rotted horse manure and topped it with a mulch of bark chippings. Hopefully that will translate to a healthier plant.

First Rose
by garynortheast

My lower veg bad is pretty much completed now. I put the sweetcorn in yesterday, both lots of peas are getting away nicely now, and there have been more recoveries from my frosted runner beans than I expected. I will still need to sow a few replacements straight into the ground though I think.

Lower bed completed
by garynortheast

Middle bed is now well on it's way. I put the courgettes and tomato plants in yesterday. I have another couple of tomato plants coming my way shortly so they'll be going in there too. I'm just waiting for the cucumber plants to get to a better size and I'll plant them out next to the courgettes.

Courgettes
by garynortheast

Tomatoes
by garynortheast

I've still got Marigolds and Poached Egg plants to go in between the veg yet. They need to be a bit bigger first. I've also got Sunflowers and more sweetpeas to plant somewhere soon, as they are now germinating too.

Looking forward to the fresh veg now.
Old 30-07-19, 03:19 PM   #55
maviczap
Mega Poster

Repaired my left hand fairing lower, as it had broken on the rear mount. Did that a week or so ago.

Today, I balanced the carbs, as my bike was clearly not ticking over as sweetly as it should. Thanks to Bibs extension tubes it was a five second job to see that they were way out of balance. Tank up, air box off & balance them. Don't know why the shop didn't do this when they took the carbs off to clean them?

Its a bigger faff putting the airbox back, which also threw up another issue, in that the breather wasn't connected to the engine.

Which would explain the oil on my left boot. I don't know if I'd pulled the breather hose off, or my local garage had when they took the carbs off. Anyway, its back in place now, so no oily boot.

Also fixed my wayward speedo, as the hall effect sensor had moved too far away from the magnets, and made it erratic. Couple of washers behind it, have moved it closer and have smoothed its movement.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-19, 05:07 PM   #56
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Now the bike is running properly Mav, it sounds to me like an excuse for a meet up and ride!
Old 01-08-19, 05:42 PM   #57
maviczap
Mega Poster

Dented tank off, undented and good tank put on.

Undertray removed and snowplough put back on
Old 08-08-19, 10:08 AM   #58
maviczap
Mega Poster

Refitted the lower fairings last night, covers up a whole host of engine corrosion on the cases and she looks mighty pretty from a distance. Still needs a bloody good clean and polish
Old 08-08-19, 06:57 PM   #59
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Refitted the lower fairings last night, covers up a whole host of engine corrosion on the cases and she looks mighty pretty from a distance. Still needs a bloody good clean and polish
We need pictures!
Old 09-08-19, 06:00 AM   #60
maviczap
Mega Poster

Patience paitence.