SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-06-19, 01:43 PM   #21
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Ethanol E15 in US

IMHO putting anything associated with four wheeled cage in a motorbike is tantamount to heresy.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-19, 01:53 PM   #22
Scittyf

I'm not exactly sure why though?
I mean it still an internal combustion engine in the fact it uses the same dynamics. The fact its been yoinked from a car shouldn't really mean anything. Okay its a bit of a different approach as normally for a motorbike you don't need large torque figures because you are not hauling much weight. However I bet the response from twisting the throttle would be much like the V-twins with it being a parallel.

Personally though if I was going to pay £90 ish a year in tax I would want something with more horse power.
Still I think its an interesting concept for commuters. An I am sure because of the torque spread its fast off the line without being rev happy.

All out fun though I think most motorbikes should have silly numbers on the rev counters. That's the point of them really. Small engines, lots of gear changes and valves want to burst out of the heads.
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-19, 02:11 PM   #23
SV650rules
Mega Poster

NC750X 2013 ( manual gearbox ) is 4.9sec 0-60 and 13.4 standing quarter the DSC is worse at 5.4. My DRZ 400 SM was quicker 0-60 at 4.5sec. IIRC both Gladius and AL7 are 3.3 seconds and 11.5 sec SQ ( naked bike gearing ) which is quick enough to embarrass some larger bikes off the line up to legal speed limit.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 04-06-19 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-06-19, 02:23 PM   #24
Scittyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
My DRZ 400 SM was quicker 0-60 at 4.5sec. IIRC both Gladius and AL7 are 3.3 seconds and 11.5 sec SQ ( naked bike gearing ) which is quick enough to embarrass some larger bikes off the line up to legal speed limit.
You'd spend most of the time on the back wheel though trying to launch a DRZ like that. For most it will be the in gear acceleration on the NC. I'm not trying to defend it just trying to give a weighted appreciation of it.

Its let down is clearly weight though. Its a chunky bike.
Getting an SV to launch like that to get those numbers would chew through a clutch. I bet most novices could launch the NC a lot easier and the ingear acceleration from roll on throttle would be pretty good.

However revs are more fun. As you have to ride the bike more.
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-19, 04:35 PM   #25
Talking Heads

The NC is a simply brilliant design.... in terms of what it was designed for.

To get the most out of it DCT option is best imo.
DCT is very weird at first but you get used to it very quickly.
Its a more versatile system than you first realise, there's a few different ways you can use it.

The 211kg S variant isn't much heavier than an SV at 198kg.
The X weighs the same as a V-strom 650, 220kg.
The quoted 13.4 standing quarter is on a par with a 1980s Yamaha LC350, a bike never accused of being slow.

If you want a sensible bike for medium to long range commuting, or touring, the NC is well worth consideration.
Horses for courses.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-19, 04:38 PM   #26
Talking Heads

Quote:
IMHO putting anything associated with four wheeled cage in a motorbike is tantamount to heresy.
Disc brakes, ABS, no.

Satnav, bluetooth, audio systems, mobile phones, yes definitely
Old 04-06-19, 04:58 PM   #27
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The cagers have benefited from motorbike engines - that is why the Japs ran all over all the other car makers and Honda and Suzuki especially introduced lightweight efficient high power to weight alloy car engines - moving engines from cars to bikes just seems so wrong.

Old 04-06-19, 08:24 PM   #28
Talking Heads

Quote:
moving engines from cars to bikes just seems so wrong.
Its lazy journalism that's wrong.
A designer made a joke and an urban myth was born.
There are five shared components, conrods & their bearings & bolts, piston rings & piston pins.
That's it. The rest is different.
Regarding the power output, characteristics and RPM, I'll just say this: "Meriden Triumph Bonneville"