SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-06-19, 08:59 AM   #1
Othen

Default ... this life...

Seaton viaduct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15-06-19, 11:21 AM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: ... this life...

It was sunnier when I was there:

I used to be stationed at RAF Nth Luffenham, lived in Stamford and then Easton on the Hill (Northants). Nice area to live in, scenic, not too much traffic and sandwiched between Peterboro' and Leicester.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-19, 11:28 AM   #3
Othen

Your photo was taken about 400 yards to the East - it has not changed.
It is a nice area. On the way home I took the A road from Uppingham to Rockingham and used the brakes only once (the traffic lights at Caldecott) in about 10 miles - it was fun staying at 60 and just moderating things with the gearbox.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20-06-19, 09:36 AM   #4
Othen

Default ... this life...

At last the rain has stopped - so I took the Bloop for a run out this morn - about 15 miles of A road, some dual carriageway and back through town.
The 43 year old 2 stroke started second kick (having been standing for several weeks), generally kept up with traffic and on one (slightly downhill) stretch of the A43 dual carriageway was doing an indicated 70 MPH!
The bike ran pretty faultlessly and I came home with a huge grin:

Maybe take the SV out for a spin before school o’clock.

Last edited by Othen; 20-06-19 at 08:03 PM.
Old 20-06-19, 12:37 PM   #5
Othen

Default ... this life...

The sun is still shining so I took the SV out for a spin: dual carriageway then some nice A roads to Thrapston and back for no particular reason.
The SV also ran faultlessly and is huge fun.
I filled up with gas an the way home - 125 miles on 11 litres of Morrison’s very cheapest, which if my mental arithmetic is correct makes just over 50 MPG (mostly short runs). The bike seems to be improving with use and maintenance.

Last edited by Othen; 20-06-19 at 01:03 PM.
Old 20-06-19, 03:25 PM   #6
Othen

Default ... this life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The sun is still shining so I took the SV out for a spin: dual carriageway then some nice A roads to Thrapston and back for no particular reason.
The SV also ran faultlessly and is huge fun.
I filled up with gas an the way home - 125 miles on 11 litres of Morrison’s very cheapest, which if my mental arithmetic is correct makes just over 50 MPG (mostly short runs). The bike seems to be improving with use and maintenance.

That works out as 51.7 MPG.
I’ve just checked up on Fuelly.com, the average for K6s is 44.2 MPG, so I’m quite pleased with my 13 year old 135,000 mile bike.

Afternote: on reflection I notice that Fuelly.com is a North American site, so I have to add 25% to the figures to get miles per imperial gallon, that makes the average 53 MPIG, so my bike is about average bearing in mind it gets used mostly for short trips.

Last edited by Othen; 20-06-19 at 08:11 PM.
Old 21-06-19, 05:21 AM   #7
Othen

Default ... this life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
It was sunnier when I was there:

I used to be stationed at RAF Nth Luffenham, lived in Stamford and then Easton on the Hill (Northants). Nice area to live in, scenic, not too much traffic and sandwiched between Peterboro' and Leicester.

Occasionally I have taken the train from Corby to Oakham, which goes over the viaduct (there are only a couple of passenger trains per day). The views are excellent:

Last edited by Othen; 21-06-19 at 06:05 AM.
Old 23-06-19, 07:00 AM   #8
Craig380
Mega Poster

An indicated 70mph on the B100P means it's in peak tune, they never went faster than that, and believe me, I used to try It's obviously in good fettle engine-wise.

I have wondered what would happen if you ported one a bit ... nothing major, just raise the exhaust by 1 to 1.5mm, tidy up the transfer tunnels and match the heights, lower the inlet by 1mm and skim the head.

It'll never be a fire-breather but the porting is SO conservative that I reckon it would liven up quite a bit.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-19, 07:37 AM   #9
Othen

Default ... this life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
An indicated 70mph on the B100P means it's in peak tune, they never went faster than that, and believe me, I used to try It's obviously in good fettle engine-wise.

I have wondered what would happen if you ported one a bit ... nothing major, just raise the exhaust by 1 to 1.5mm, tidy up the transfer tunnels and match the heights, lower the inlet by 1mm and skim the head.

It'll never be a fire-breather but the porting is SO conservative that I reckon it would liven up quite a bit.

You might be right there, according to what it says on the speedo (60MPH=2240RPM) there should be a good margin in getting the air in and out quicker and running the motor faster.

The limitation might be the 4 speed gearbox (with widely spaced ratios). At the moment there is a broad range of torque, so big gaps between the gears don’t matter, but if there was a power band it might make the bike really difficult to ride.

I think the bottom end could easily handle a bit more power. I quite like the Bloop the way it is though, and I’m pleased it just touched 70MPH (next time I might get a photo of the speedo with my phone at that point - maybe if I stripped down like Rollie Free in that famous photo I could get the Bloop to 75MPH, it might raise an eyebrow on the A43 though).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...record_run.jpg

Last edited by Othen; 23-06-19 at 08:36 AM.
Old 23-06-19, 10:43 AM   #10
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
maybe if I stripped down like Rollie Free in that famous photo I could get the Bloop to 75MPH, it might raise an eyebrow on the A43 though).
Haha, indeed. Rollie must have been mental, it would have been bloody painful being sandblasted with what the tyres were chucking up, let alone what could've happened if he'd lost it and fallen off ....

Also I never believed the Suzuki speedo legend "60mph = 2240rpm", or at least that's not crankshaft rpm. My old GT380's 6th gear was about 13mph/1000rpm, so it would've been doing 4,600rpm at 60. I can't imagine the B100P's top gear being twice as long, somehow
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote