SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-07-06, 01:42 PM   #511
Nick762

Anyone looked at Sharris074's avatar?

Wonder why super agent James Bond is posing with an air pistol?

Apparently when they were doing the film publicity shots with Sean Connery, the props man forgot to bring a genuine Walther PPK to the session but happened to have an air pistol (also I believe made by Walther) in his car boot. The intention was to airbrush the picture to make it look like the real thing but for some reason this was never done hence the iconic picture of 007 with an airgun.

Unless of course, you know different...
Old 06-07-06, 01:49 PM   #512
sharriso74

Noooo say it is't true
Old 06-07-06, 01:50 PM   #513
Nick762

And another useless fact:

On his way to London following the Battle of Hastings (a narrow victory gained only through a very dodgy line call and a biased Frankish referee) William of Normandy was confronted on what was the old Roman Road of Watling Street (or the A2 near Swanscombe as it is today) by what appeared to be a moving wood. The men of Kent led by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Stigande and Egelsine, the Abbot of St. Augustine’s Abbey had cut oak branches to hide themselves as they approached the Norman army.

Revealing themselves to be heavily armed (obviously the local Chavs after a day's shoplifting at the medieval equivalent to Bluewater) they first asked William who the hell he thought he was looking at and then offered him peace provided he would grant them their ancient rights and liberties otherwise, there would be trouble!

Fearing ambushers laying in wait for him in the forest, the Invaders chose not to fight and agreed that their laws and privileges would be upheld. The motto ‘Invicta’ (Undefeated) was adopted shortly after and to every Man of Kent (those born to the south of the River Medway) or every Kentish Man (those born to the north of the river) William is King William, William of Normandy or William the ******* NEVER William the Conqueror!
Old 06-07-06, 06:27 PM   #514
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
2. My great Aunts Uncle was the clever chap that came up with the idea for cats eyes (The ones in the road, not the feline ones!!) He went on to develope the idea, developed the first working model but forgot to patent the plans! Doh!! [/color]
If we're playing that game, my grandad was one of the McVities master chefs who invented the jaffa orangey bit. He also iced the Queen's wedding cake. My birthday cakes used to rock
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-06, 07:23 AM   #515
Quedos

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
2. My great Aunts Uncle was the clever chap that came up with the idea for cats eyes (The ones in the road, not the feline ones!!) He went on to develope the idea, developed the first working model but forgot to patent the plans! Doh!! [/color]
If we're playing that game, my grandad was one of the McVities master chefs who invented the jaffa orangey bit. He also iced the Queen's wedding cake. My birthday cakes used to rock
Okay then
My dads side owned some hoisery co - poss pretty polly- and when we were self made millionaires they put the money into Rolls Royce which then dropped and we lost the lot. - Hows that for stupidity!
Old 07-07-06, 07:29 AM   #516
keithd

water does NOT drain down a plughole one way in the northern hemisphere and the opposite way in the southern hemisphere.

a kind of a non fact if you will.
Old 07-07-06, 08:08 AM   #517
DanDare

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd
water does NOT drain down a plughole one way in the northern hemisphere and the opposite way in the southern hemisphere.

Yes it does, have you tried it?
Old 07-07-06, 08:12 AM   #518
keithd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare
Quote:

nope.

but i've got it on good authority that it only depends on the shape of the basin/bath and which tap the water falls from i.e. left or right

i stand to be corrected tho!
Old 07-07-06, 08:15 AM   #519
keithd

Quote:
Quote:

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/coriolis.html
Old 07-07-06, 08:19 AM   #520
DanDare

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nope.

but i've got it on good authority that it only depends on the shape of the basin/bath and which tap the water falls from i.e. left or right

i stand to be corrected tho!
No neither have I

Father in Law has, I thought it was to do with the earth spinning on its axis and aliens.