SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-04-08, 06:29 PM   #1
slydog

Default how do i make a diy tre?

hi people. hope i'm not peein anyone off but i just wanted to know if anyone has made a diy tre for a pointy? if anyone has made one, could they explain in a bit more detail how they did it. i've seen a few posts about diy ones but no-one is stating whether they work or not. Cheers, ray

Last edited by slydog; 26-04-08 at 06:31 PM.
Old 26-04-08, 07:22 PM   #2
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: how do i make a diy tre?

They work in exactly the sam,e way as the TRE, excet you are cutting/pulling the wires out rather than bypassing them with the TRE unit.

To be honest you will not even feel any difference with a full system and sorted fuelling on an SV, unless you start heavily tuning the engine!
Old 26-04-08, 09:12 PM   #3
slydog

i just finished making an homemade tre. took me about 30 mins including fitting. just got back from ride out and noticed it was quicker in acceleration, but nothing like ppl make out (pure aggression). cheers for replying tho
Old 27-04-08, 11:36 AM   #4
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog View Post
i just finished making an homemade tre. took me about 30 mins including fitting. just got back from ride out and noticed it was quicker in acceleration, but nothing like ppl make out (pure aggression). cheers for replying tho
It has psychologically improved acceleration, trust me the mod will not unleash anything as the retarder hardly does anything other than for emissions!
Old 27-04-08, 04:33 PM   #5
slydog

when i said quicker in acceleration i did mean anything out this world. i meant it had a better response once you cracked the throttle open. just seems to get to the end of the rev counter quicker. didnt feel nothing else besides that. i was hoping to give it another go today but the weather is peeing down here.
Old 09-05-08, 07:37 PM   #6
df1uk

Hi i have just fitted a home made tre, i am now getting the F1 code and a red light on, any ideas? The bike starts fine and seem to be smoother on tickover

Dave
Old 09-05-08, 07:51 PM   #7
slydog

not too sure mate. i fitted mine and its seems to repsond better from low gears. i've had no probs with f1 light or anything else to be honest. the only thing that i have noticed is that i redline real quick in all gears till i get to fifth. thought my engine went pop the other day as i didnt realise how quick it would redline in forth. the bike just started to sound like it was struggling to breathe.

was going to ask people if it makes any difference which way round you put the resistor as its got different colour bands on it. does anyone know anything about this??
Old 10-05-08, 01:57 AM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by df1uk View Post
Hi i have just fitted a home made tre, i am now getting the F1 code and a red light on, any ideas? The bike starts fine and seem to be smoother on tickover

Dave
You've messed with some other wires then if this is all you've changed.

What fault code? (search function)
Old 10-05-08, 07:04 AM   #9
LEXINGTONONE

I also made and fitted my own tre yesterday, also lifted tank about 10mm, there is an improvement in how quickly the engine gets to red line in first few gears, after that the difference may be there but the response is not as noticeable, I dont believe this is psychological, I have ridden the same roads and ridden fairly hard especially noting the pick up out of corners, if the tre made no difference in performance it would not have the retarded ignition in the first place, advancing the ignition is usually quite easy to see the effects of, you can feel it straight away with how harsh the engine feels, having said all that I agree the effect is minimal, I would recommend doing it.
Old 11-05-08, 08:28 AM   #10
df1uk

Ref: Hi i have just fitted a home made tre, i am now getting the F1 code and a red light on, any ideas? The bike starts fine and seem to be smoother on tickover

Have just taken out TRE and error code has gone now, so can only think that 15ohs was faulty or wrong type of resistor (was using 15ohs 3watts), any advice would be welcome.

Dave