SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-10-08, 04:11 PM   #1
supermoto1962

Default Which is best for racing?

Good day chaps & chappette's

Some opinion needed from those who have races and tuned SV's

1. Which is easiest to live with carb or injection model?

2. Best for reliability when raced?

3. Quickest? Most grunt? More powerful?

4. Preferred exhaust / silencer? Why?

I expect that has thrown a can of worms on the floor but positive feedback needed if i'm to make some right choices.

Look forward to your replies

ps someone out there must have an sv they want rid of, that has been binned, trashed etc. Plastics and pretty parts not required. Race project needs one. Drop me a line
Old 16-10-08, 04:37 PM   #2
Ceri JC

Default Re: Which is best for racing?

Blue races minitwins so hopefully he will be along with specifics. I believe some people have put the engine of the pointy into the frame of a curvy to get the best of both worlds?
Old 16-10-08, 05:07 PM   #3
sv650k4

loads of sv race bikes for sale on motoforum

Old 16-10-08, 05:25 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

They made pointy frame cheaper, but gave it marginally hotter cams.

Far harder to make a race loom for pointy.

Curvy's cheaper.
Old 16-10-08, 06:28 PM   #5
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Blue races minitwins so hopefully he will be along with specifics. I believe some people have put the engine of the pointy into the frame of a curvy to get the best of both worlds?
To be fair, I am not sure I count as a minitwin racer ... I have only 'wild-carded' one round on it!

Anyway, the consensus I believe is that the FI ones are more powerful out of the box so cost less to get to the HP limit.

The curvy is supposed to be a little softer on the handling (never ridden pointy, so can't confirm or deny personally).

You can get a curvy upto the hp limit, but it costs more and being carbbed, will be different one day to another ... a FI bike will always produce the power.

When you have so little HP to play with, being say 4hp down is a massive handicap ...
Old 16-10-08, 08:07 PM   #6
supermoto1962

Thanks for the replies lads - keep 'em coming.

Blue, excuse my lack of knowledge but is that FI or F1? Is it a later model? Injection is it? Pointy or not?

What have you done to yours to squeeze the power out? I'm assuming its a curvy one.

Bike needed: SV650 - Model not known, yet.

Application: Beach racing. Flat(ish) oval about 350 to 450m in length depending on tide.

Needs: Max power down straight and then no brain as it gets thrown into bend, same method. Laps can vary from three to five depending on tides and how many crash and burn; well eat sand actually.

So, for a start i need a bike - anyone got one that is an insurance write-off, been bashed, crashed and generally abused? Drop me a message please.

Questions:
1. Will an SV work without the clocks?
2. Will a set of clamps for a non-S model fit an S?
3. Exhaust/silencer. We don't have to run silencers (oh what bliss) but if i run an SV without one will what will the power be like? Will it effect fueling?
4. Triple clamps. Which fit? have been told 2002 GSXR 1000's bolt directly on. Any other you guys know of?
5. Ideally need to lower it and fir the front and back-end from a DRZ. Anyone done it?

Bear in mind i have next to no knowledge on the SV so correct and advise if need be. On offer so far are the following:
1. 2000 SK1 yellow curvy- very binned - all plastics kaput (suits me fine) - Tank dinged -16k on clock. £700 approx

2. 2003/53 plate pointy - 14k - fairing, screen fek'd - Cat C. £750-800 approx

3. 2005 SK5 - binned agin - no clock surround - poss wrong front wheel/discs - rad bent but no leaks. £800 +
Old 16-10-08, 08:30 PM   #7
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoto1962 View Post
Thanks for the replies lads - keep 'em coming.

Blue, excuse my lack of knowledge but is that FI or F1? Is it a later model? Injection is it? Pointy or not?

What have you done to yours to squeeze the power out? I'm assuming its a curvy one.

Bike needed: SV650 - Model not known, yet.

Application: Beach racing. Flat(ish) oval about 350 to 450m in length depending on tide.

Needs: Max power down straight and then no brain as it gets thrown into bend, same method. Laps can vary from three to five depending on tides and how many crash and burn; well eat sand actually.

So, for a start i need a bike - anyone got one that is an insurance write-off, been bashed, crashed and generally abused? Drop me a message please.

Questions:
1. Will an SV work without the clocks?
2. Will a set of clamps for a non-S model fit an S?
3. Exhaust/silencer. We don't have to run silencers (oh what bliss) but if i run an SV without one will what will the power be like? Will it effect fueling?
4. Triple clamps. Which fit? have been told 2002 GSXR 1000's bolt directly on. Any other you guys know of?
5. Ideally need to lower it and fir the front and back-end from a DRZ. Anyone done it?

Bear in mind i have next to no knowledge on the SV so correct and advise if need be. On offer so far are the following:
1. 2000 SK1 yellow curvy- very binned - all plastics kaput (suits me fine) - Tank dinged -16k on clock. £700 approx

2. 2003/53 plate pointy - 14k - fairing, screen fek'd - Cat C. £750-800 approx

3. 2005 SK5 - binned agin - no clock surround - poss wrong front wheel/discs - rad bent but no leaks. £800 +
FI = Fuel Injected = Pointy = 03-08

surely you want an offroad bike for beach racing?!!? ... also if you are on sand, I can't see the odd 3-4hp makes any odds as you are spinning the rear more than you are getting the power down

Never done a beach race, but I can't see the differences between pointy or curvy count for **** on sand ...

The curvy WILL work without the clocks ... not sure about pointy.
Old 17-10-08, 01:48 AM   #8
zadar

curvy is better bike in everything but peak hp number in stock form.
Old 17-10-08, 07:48 AM   #9
boo86

I love my mini-twin race curvy <--. It's got plenty of beens against the other stuff, er6s and pointies. I wouldn't swop it.
I like the fiddelyness of carbs. I like to take them to bits look at them, fiddle with them, check all is right, then put them back together with a warm feeling. Fuel injection of course is superior in every way but it leaves me cold. AND I got my curvy for £700, since then I've chucked a couple hundred more at it and about 100 hours of work and it's the buisiness.
Old 17-10-08, 08:21 AM   #10
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo86 View Post
I love my mini-twin race curvy <--. It's got plenty of beens against the other stuff, er6s and pointies. I wouldn't swop it.
I like the fiddelyness of carbs. I like to take them to bits look at them, fiddle with them, check all is right, then put them back together with a warm feeling. Fuel injection of course is superior in every way but it leaves me cold. AND I got my curvy for £700, since then I've chucked a couple hundred more at it and about 100 hours of work and it's the buisiness.
I take it it was a £700 STOCK road bike? I which case, unless you have managed to get lots of cool stuff for free (suspension, zorst, filter etc) with only £100 thrown at it, its a pile of junk!!