SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-09-08, 06:12 AM   #41
ThEGr33k

Default Re: px/swap my tl 1000 for a curvey??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Absoloutly but it that jump any bigger than the jump I made from a 12bhp 125 to a full power SV once I passed my test ?

Is that jump any bigger than the jump I made from my SV to my GSXR ?
Id say yes its worse. 33bhp to ~120BHP (at wheel) is pretty big. The SV in comparison is soft and forgiving, well if the TL is anything like mine. I think even the Gixxer 750 will be soft in comparison... well I read they are, I dont have the exp personally. Think on this, the TL makes 40BHP at 3000RPM!

Quote:

If you've two years of all weather all type of riding on a restricted SV such as somebody as Yorkie_Chris will have done by the time his restriction is up or somebody like Plowsie has i.e 30K of milleage in two years ? I dont see why you dont have the skills and the experience to make that jump as long as you have a healty dose of respect for it and ease yourself into it whats the problem.
I agree people should be able to do what they want... No doubt they have exp with it but I can honestly say (as ive done a very similar thing) that a full power SV is a MILE better than a slow power one and they should give it a go and get more EXP.

Quote:
At best its no worse than passing your DAS in one go and then going and buying a GSXR Thou or similar is it ?

No its not but then I dont condone that either
Old 25-09-08, 06:27 AM   #42
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
I dont have the exp personally.
Which was the point I was getting at

IMHO tw years real world everyday all conditions riding is more than enough time to gain experience that should mean you make the power jump and live to tell the tale about it.

As I said my first change of bike was a 58bhp increase. Then I went GSXR and thats ( using published crank figures ) is a 74bhp increase.

So going restircted SV to TL using your BHP figure ( which I believe maybe a little optimisitic but its early and I cant be doing with googling it to find out )

Is a 87bhp increase. Which is 13bhp more than I did. When I swapped to my GSXR I had two years of SV riding under my belt. in Which I racked up about 20K in all weathers. So one could argue that I was at a similar stage in my riding career that Plowsie is.

See what I'm saying ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-08, 06:37 AM   #43
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Which was the point I was getting at

IMHO tw years real world everyday all conditions riding is more than enough time to gain experience that should mean you make the power jump and live to tell the tale about it.

As I said my first change of bike was a 58bhp increase. Then I went GSXR and thats ( using published crank figures ) is a 74bhp increase.

So going restircted SV to TL using your BHP figure ( which I believe maybe a little optimisitic but its early and I cant be doing with googling it to find out )

Is a 87bhp increase. Which is 13bhp more than I did. When I swapped to my GSXR I had two years of SV riding under my belt. in Which I racked up about 20K in all weathers. So one could argue that I was at a similar stage in my riding career that Plowsie is.

See what I'm saying ?

I know what you mean. I still think its better waiting. ha ha.

Though that quote you posted was a little out of context. My career was similar to plowsies, then I did a year on unrestricted SV then moved to the falco, which is a TL without the handling issues so do have exp in a sense (so I read in reviews ).

I suppose its best to go out and get a test ride...
Old 25-09-08, 06:58 AM   #44
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
So basically Plowsie has done twice the milleage you have. So thats twice the hours in the seat twisting the throttle, which IMHO is what counts. Its not about how long you've had your license for its about how much time you've actually spent riding it.

Sorry but theres been some right patronising clap trap posted in this thread, if you want the damn TL go and buy it and get it out of your system. At least that way you'll have made your own mind up.

The only peson who knows if you can handle a bike is you. Personally I wouldnt let the opinions of people on an internet forum put me off something especially when they had no real world experience of said motorcyle of their own and are regurgitating the same tired old cliches.

Right I'll get off my soapbox now and go for a ride on my only goes in a straight line, doesnt go round corners, has no midrange and really revvy, cr*p sounding GSXR

Exactly what I was thinking!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-08, 08:06 AM   #45
Grinch

Default Re: TL Discussion Thread

Its funny as I don't think it would bother me riding a 1000cc bike, though I have only ever ridden one. A Aprilia Caponord, all the time the only thing I really was thinking about was 'Gee this bike is big'. Something my short 5"6' frame has to think about.
I myself have ridden bikes for 12 years now, and to be honest the only thing that I think I couldn't handle on the TL is the fuel cost.
The TL is like no other bike, but if you ride like a twit then it will kill you same. Its just you might get there quicker in a shorter time on it. Its all down to respect of the bike, which most people have with its fearsome reputation (which Suzuki calmed down but it killed the model). Experience is best, which you need to try to get, and not running your foot over. Which is more what I think Plowise is liable to do.

Last edited by Grinch; 25-09-08 at 08:09 AM.
Old 25-09-08, 08:24 AM   #46
kitkat

i agree with grinch (not something I can say I have said very often ) I had sv for 7 years and it took me a couple of years and 20000 miles before I felt confident on it and felt I was riding it properly. I now have a raptor (tl engine) and have taken a step back, I dont ride it nearly as hard as the SV. Its a lazier ride, pulls away in any gear, no need to brake etc. I got the raptor not for the big engine or to see peoples faces when I say I (mere female) ride 1000cc bike but because my feet could reach the ground.

I dont understand what all the debate is about (granted didnt read all the posts) but if you want to get a big bike get one, everyone has their own opinion, some valid, most not. If you can afford it why not, life is short enough.
Old 25-09-08, 08:33 AM   #47
plowsie

Wow, somebody who agrees with me I thought I was on a losing streak there. Cheers Fizz

Its not a definate that I will get one as I think that it may be a bit different come winter time when I would have to use it in icy conditions etc. And thoughts about costs (£97 to change my bike to Ady's TL, FOR 3 MONTHS ).
Old 25-09-08, 08:57 AM   #48
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
I think get at least a couple of thousand miles under the belt on full power SV and ill be happy to recommend a full fat thou twin.

What an arrogant statement.

What bike Plowsie gets when his restriction comes to an end is his business. I know Plowsie runs his bike as daily transport and as a result has plenty of 'experience' of real world all weather biking. If he feels he wants a TL then who are we to say 'no'?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-08, 09:23 AM   #49
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
What an arrogant statement.

What bike Plowsie gets when his restriction comes to an end is his business. I know Plowsie runs his bike as daily transport and as a result has plenty of 'experience' of real world all weather biking. If he feels he wants a TL then who are we to say 'no'?
Arrogant? How? Im commenting from my experience. Sharing this is not what id call arrogant. If plowsie wants one then what I say wont mean jack. All I am saying is that I wouldn't go from one day riding a 33bhp SV to a full fat TL. Id at least want the exp with the full fat SV, see if I like that first. I did that and im sure I benefited from it.

Im sure going from my limited SV to the falco streight off would have been scary and I wouldnt have been able to get as much from the falco as I have been able to without the full power SV.

For anyone who thinks im being a **** then know that I practice what I preach!

I did about 10K miles on a clapped out VT250 (Honda) then went to the SV for the last 1/2 year of restriction in which I did about 8K miles, I then de restricted it for another 17K miles over the following year and a bit. Next I got the Falco and have done another 10K miles since then.

Last edited by ThEGr33k; 25-09-08 at 09:26 AM.
Old 25-09-08, 09:28 AM   #50
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Arrogant? How?
" ill be happy to recommend a full fat thou twin. " - sounds like you are saying Plowsie needs your approval.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote