SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-07-06, 10:43 PM   #1
kumasikid0

Default Tickover very variable

I have just bought a lovely 1999 Black SV650S, its everything that I dreamed it could be and more. One problem I have though is the tickover sometimes rises to 3000 or more when warmed up, not too good in town at slow speeds or on approach to tight corners. It pops a bit too. Any ideas? Otherwise it stops and goes lovely.
Old 28-07-06, 02:28 AM   #2
Graham

Check for airleaks in the manifolds.
Old 28-07-06, 10:03 AM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

It could also indicate a vacuum leak- though they tend to be more constant.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-06, 03:22 PM   #4
dnicholson99

I had similar problem recently sometimes it would tickover 1500 other times 3000 or so. Traced it to the throttle sticking now and again. I had to take the tank up, then remove the air filter and lubricate all the moving parts of the trottle under there. I was suprised how many moving parts there were to get sticky. Put some oil down the cable while I was at it. I am told it is a quite common problem on them especially if they have been sitting for a while. I found it made a huge difference to the response.
dnicholson99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-06, 10:29 PM   #5
kumasikid0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicholson99
I had similar problem recently sometimes it would tickover 1500 other times 3000 or so. Traced it to the throttle sticking now and again. I had to take the tank up, then remove the air filter and lubricate all the moving parts of the trottle under there. I was suprised how many moving parts there were to get sticky. Put some oil down the cable while I was at it. I am told it is a quite common problem on them especially if they have been sitting for a while. I found it made a huge difference to the response.
Many thanks, tried to adjust the tickover knob today and it is siezed, hope WD40 can free it. I'm on holiday now for 2 weeks and it will be hard to resist going for a ride each day, did 130miles today, SVs are brilliant bikes.