SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-09-05, 01:11 AM   #1
HACBassoon

Default Lower Fairing and Frame Sliders

Hey,

I just got a US (just in case nationality matters...) 05 SV650S in blue for my 16th birthday! I love the bike, but I really want the lower fairing for the bike, just because I love that look. Unfortunently, I dont have that kind of money just yet. Im nervous about ever tipping it so I'd like some frame sliders but I heard that you cant put lowers on if you have frame sliders already installed. Is this true? Is there an order I have to do it in? And could you recommend the best frame sliders. Plain chrome or one of those clear acrylics is fine, im not picky on looks, i just want to protect the bike. Thanks again.

Jake
Old 01-09-05, 01:26 AM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

R&G Racing make bungs you can use with your lowers- but the low $/£ rate will cut you there. Alternatively you can cut a hole in the fairings, not as drastic as it sounds.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 04:49 AM   #3
MitchC

Hey mate,

Welcome to the board! Someone younger than me?! This is just crazy....

Lowers, if you get the stock Suzuki lowers you can also get there frame sliders. I am not sure how good they are, but they look alittle to 'flush'. Don't look like they'd cover the radiator and other bits which stick out.

I have installed the Bikesliders. They are made in Canada by an ex-SV rider. They are superb... even though I have yet to test them. (Knock on wood) You could then cut out a notch for the lowers. A few more options for yeah... Good luck, respect that power, and ride safe.

Mitch

Keep your feet on the pegs and keep your right hand cranked.
Did your right hand write a cheque that your rear tire couldn't cash?

www.MITCHCAVE.com | I Do It With Twins
MitchC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 07:58 AM   #4
kevsboredagain

Think I got a new calculator or something for my 16th. Times were hard back in those days lol

The only sliders I ever found that worked with the lower fairing were the R & G ones but they're expensive. They look like the Suzuki ones externally but mount to a solid block unlike the Suzuki ones which mount to a crap bracket that will break and bust your fairing with it. I'd go without a fairing for a few months as the chances of dropping it will be very high. You could buy some cheap sliders off ebay, maybe second hand to use with the unfaired bike and then sell them when you add the fairing.
Someone mentioned the ones from www.bikesliders.com These are nice and I bought some for my SV1000. They're on ebay now though because I couldn't use them easily with the lower fairing but won't work with the Sv650.
Old 01-09-05, 08:44 AM   #5
Captain Nemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsboredagain
Think I got a new calculator or something for my 16th. Times were hard back in those days lol
time cant have been that hard

it must have cost your family thousands for the coal to run it !!!!!
Old 01-09-05, 10:18 AM   #6
Cloggsy

Default Re: Lower Fairing and Frame Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by HACBassoon
I just got a US (just in case nationality matters...) 05 SV650S in blue for my 16th birthday!
16yr olds in the UK have to make do with 49cc's of 'POWER'

Quote:
I heard that you cant put lowers on if you have frame sliders already installed. Is this true?
You can fit sliders with lowers on, but it means that you normally have to cut the lowers to fit the sliders - Don't buy the OEM Suzuki ones, they're crap

Quote:
could you recommend the best frame sliders.
I fitted Bikesliders & they were superb Much cheaper than R&G Racings products too They even come in matt black now to match the '05 frame
Old 02-09-05, 01:01 AM   #7
HACBassoon

Ok, thanks guys!

Well, im still really not sure. I guess I should have been more specific, just in case it matters. I really love the http://www.eurobikes.com/jmvsv65003-04.htm lower fairings instead of the suzuki ones. IMHO they look better, but I like the Suzuki also. Does anyone have any expierience with these? I feel so torn, because I really am not comfortable with cutting anything and I dont WANT to spend the money for R&G and I really dont want the stock suzuki frame sliders if they arnt gonna help. Might as well go without them. If I must I can splurge on R&Gs if they are my only way out without cutting.If theres any other bits of info I should know before I start saving, please, let me know. I'm basically clueless, but I'm willing to learn. I'm loving my bike SO much. After taking the course on a Suzuki GZ250 I can tell, even with my lack of expierience, that I'm going to have many great years with this bike. I just want to make it MINE! Haha. Thanks again!

Jake[/url]
Old 02-09-05, 06:44 AM   #8
kevsboredagain

Looking at that pic of the fairing you prefer, I don't think the R&G sliders would go on there. They screw into the special machined bracket which is mounted between the frame and the fairing. The slider sits on a flat area of the fairing which that fairing doesn't have.
Here's mine before and after fitting the R&Gs so you can see where they're mounted. (Pics are BIG)

http://kwilson.club.fr/Photos/SV650/SV650_0261.jpg

http://kwilson.club.fr/Photos/SV650/SV650_0273.jpg
Old 05-09-05, 02:46 AM   #9
terrebandit

Anybody tried motosliders?

http://www.motosliders.com/MS-1.html