SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 05-02-17, 10:22 PM   #1
Tonka22

Unhappy Technical Help Needed

Hi
Old biker, newbie to SV650 from Wallasey here, and my SV650 K1, has decided she doesn't want to start, I know it's cold but she's being a bitch. Eventually it did start. Thought initially it was a plug problem so I have just fitted new plugs. Problem still exists! Then I thought it was running on one cylinder (the front one) Front exhaust hot, rear exhaust not so hot!
When eventually it did start it was a rough as a dog's xxxx
Had the rear plug out nice bright spark, so I am thinking it's a carb problem. Looking to " you tube" others has found problems with the rear cylinder problem being down to the manifold being lose or even split.
So am open to suggestions or advise.
Oh by the way my SV has only just over 9 k miles on the clock, and have all its services stamped in the book, so it must of spent most of it's life doing nothing!! (It's on a "Y" plate.)
Don't mind paying to have it put right, but don't want to take it to a unknowledgeable bike shop who don't know what the problem is and charge the earth while they try to sort it out!
Can anyone recommend a good knowledgeable bike shop or someone well up on SV650's and their little ways that they try to avoid going out in the cold!!!
Old 05-02-17, 10:34 PM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Technical Help Needed

Does the bike live outside or in a garage?
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-17, 10:40 PM   #3
Tonka22

The bike lives in a garage, well she has for the last 6 months while I have owned it. But as there's some fading on one side of the seat plastics it must of spent a good while outside in the past! I found almost no corrosion on the front plug bye the way.
Old 06-02-17, 07:37 AM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

It could be a bit of rubbish in the carbs.
Do you pull the choke on when you turn it over?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-17, 07:42 AM   #5
aj76

Hi Tonka, with those miles would think a good strip and clean of the carbs would do no harm, does it run with the choke and die without any?

If you want a shop z and r motorcycles on derby road I would highly recommend. Sammy used to be the mechanic at Carnells and is Suzuki trained on these engines and a top bloke who also doesn't do a bad coffee 😀

I was recommended him for the MoT test through the forum and he was rebuilding a pointy at the time. Has a Facebook page too showing lots of his work.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
aj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-17, 08:08 AM   #6
Tonka22

Hi, thanks for that, I literally work around the corner from Z n R!! I'll definitely be calling in at dinner time!!
Old 06-02-17, 08:14 AM   #7
Tonka22

As far a running with the choke on, previously it only needed choke for a couple of miles, if that! Unfortunately, as of Saturday it would appear to only run and start with choke on.
Old 06-02-17, 08:18 AM   #8
aj76

Possibly carbs then but have a chat with Sammy if your nearby anyway cant do any harm. Good luck and ride safe!

Let us know how you get on😀

Old 06-02-17, 08:30 AM   #9
Tonka22

Yes, ill definitely be calling on Sammy!
Old 17-02-17, 05:21 PM   #10
aj76

Did you get sorted?