SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-12-21, 05:14 PM   #381
svenrico

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
One man's hate for Tesla (yep, he's nuts).

https://jalopnik.com/watch-a-finn-bl...ite-1848261076

...and coming to a charging area near you: Elite Charging from Audi

https://jalopnik.com/audis-charging-...-pr-1848260130
What happens to EV batteries when they have reached the end of their life ?
There seems to be quite a few claims for the 'green' credentials of electric vehicles which don't take into account the disadvantages/ negative effects .
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-21, 06:37 PM   #382
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
On an unrelated note - has anyone been following the car industry plans to introduce subscription services? As an example if you bought the car with heated seats or remote start capability then after a set period you would lose that function unless you paid a subscription. The German car industry is particularly keen.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a9599821.html
Tesla do something similar. When a new owner registers a used car, certain functions cease to work as they only apply to the previous owner. I'll see if I can find the story.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/tesla-...hem-privately/

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Last edited by admin; 23-12-21 at 06:41 PM.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-21, 06:51 PM   #383
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Tesla do something similar. When a new owner registers a used car, certain functions cease to work as they only apply to the previous owner. I'll see if I can find the story.

Watch out used EV purchasers !
Old 23-12-21, 11:43 PM   #384
Ruffy

Quote:
On an unrelated note - has anyone been following the car industry plans to introduce subscription services? As an example if you bought the car with heated seats or remote start capability then after a set period you would lose that function unless you paid a subscription. The German car industry is particularly keen.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a9599821.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post

I spy an opportunity for an aftermarket 'black box' manufacturer. When all is said and done an electric drivetrain is well understood: Electric motors, drives, batteries and chargers have been around for decades so operating them is technically well understood. The rest is just human-machine-interface computer stuff, again pretty straighforward to reverse engineer and replace.

I suspect the biggest impediment to getting around OEM control systems will be overcoming the motor insurance requirements, not the engineering.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-21, 11:47 PM   #385
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
I spy an opportunity for an aftermarket 'black box' manufacturer. When all is said and done an electric drivetrain is well understood: Electric motors, drives, batteries and chargers have been around for decades so operating them is technically well understood. The rest is just human-machine-interface computer stuff, again pretty straighforward to reverse engineer and replace. for some maybe !

I suspect the biggest impediment to getting around OEM control systems will be overcoming the motor insurance requirements, not the engineering.
Plenty to overcome then.

Last edited by svenrico; 23-12-21 at 11:50 PM.
Old 23-12-21, 11:57 PM   #386
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
What happens to EV batteries when they have reached the end of their life ?
"End of life" is a less than clear-cut concept.

Once they're no longer suitable for traction use, many batteries are currently re-purposed for the large scale energy storage systems that are being developed to provide backup for renewable/intermitent generation grid systems. The reduced capacity of each battery (or individual degraded cells within the battery) is less an issue in a multi-MWh battery farm connected to the grid where the main challenge at present is about short-term transient ride-through ('synthetic inertia') rather than providing high-power sustained supply.

I'm not clear at what point they become useless for any purpose and become scrap (absolute end of life).

At whatever point, I understand that they can be effectively and quite substantially recycled for raw materials to be re-used (in theory at least - whether that actually happens is a different question).
Old 24-12-21, 12:16 AM   #387
Ruffy

Quote:
Plenty to overcome then.
OK, not a 'man in the street' thing, but well within the bounds of reasonably equipped professional control systems/electronic engineers

(A friend who used to work in development for a major manufacturer once shared with me how they would periodically anonymously hire top-end new models to spend a period in the lab (cheaper and quicker than buying), where they would then tap into the wiring of the various data systems and systematically gather data stream traces to be able to assess functionality that they could then be able to compare with their own work. As they said to me, it's just a computer system, so it's much the same hacking/cracking process as, for example, working out how to exploit PC vulnerabilities. Why re-invent the wheel, as it were?!)
Old 24-12-21, 02:03 PM   #388
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
OK, not a 'man in the street' thing, but well within the bounds of reasonably equipped professional control systems/electronic engineers

(A friend who used to work in development for a major manufacturer once shared with me how they would periodically anonymously hire top-end new models to spend a period in the lab (cheaper and quicker than buying), where they would then tap into the wiring of the various data systems and systematically gather data stream traces to be able to assess functionality that they could then be able to compare with their own work. As they said to me, it's just a computer system, so it's much the same hacking/cracking process as, for example, working out how to exploit PC vulnerabilities. Why re-invent the wheel, as it were?!)
Yes, I take your point ,but it isn't something somebody buying a used EV wants to have to get sorted out . They just want to be able to drive the vehicle with everything working.
Old 24-12-21, 04:37 PM   #389
Ruffy

Quote:
... but it isn't something somebody buying a used EV wants to have to get sorted out . They just want to be able to drive the vehicle with everything working.
I wholeheartedly agree.

(Makes me wonder if the car/bike custom culture that we have in the UK will gradually wane when EVs become more prolific or if the aftermarket will just change a bit to provide for a different market. Will large numbers of people still buy a used vehicle with the intent of 'doing it up' to their own taste? Or perhaps I have a distorted viewpoint and I'm badly extrapolating from quite a niche perspective?)
Old 25-02-22, 12:19 PM   #390
DJ123
Mega Poster

Volvo has done a report on an ICE v BEV equivalent to map out the carbon footprint and the breakover point.

(results are form page 23 onwards)

https://www.volvocars.com/images/v/-...lca-report.pdf

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote