SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-01-22, 08:32 AM   #461
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Covid19 thread

Keeping us all safe eh?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...?ocid=msedgntp
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 08:56 AM   #462
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I suppose, technically, if you didn't get an invite he did keep you safe.

It's a good job that Boris has a track record of telling the truth, behaving ethically and keeping to the rules or I might suspect some shenanigans.
Old 11-01-22, 09:10 AM   #463
ethariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Privatisation isn't the only way forward, the way forward is to make sure the NHS is managed properly like any organisation should be.
Agreed, HOWEVER if you leave the Civil Service to manage anything you know it's going to either fail or come online 10 years late, out of date and 5x over budget.

The ONLY way to make it work is have a Private Company run it and be able to make a profit based on performance - Privatised healthcare.

If it's run by the government or civil service they have absolutely no incentive to make it work as all they have to do is hold thier hand out for more funding every time they need it, a 'Private' company does not have that luxury.
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 09:50 AM   #464
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
WTF has someone's dad dying four days before the email was sent out got to do with anything.. loads of people died in the country and not just from covid in those four days. this is a classic example of the media trying to get the public riled up.

i know i'm pizzing people off but someone has to play devils advocate

its tough if people dont like their current government but they were voted in by the majority and in this country the majority rule as its not a dictatorship.

these is a simple solution to the anger people feel when reading media/news... its called stop reading the stuff
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 10:01 AM   #465
redtrummy

I have to agree with you Bibo, but it doesn't make it acceptable.
Integrity and honesty are sadly lacking from the Government.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 10:19 AM   #466
ethariel

Email sent on behalf of.....

So a minion/secretary sent the email out, that means it was in all probability a Civil Servant and not an elected member of Government.

Besides as the email is labelled 'Official Sensitive' technically whomever leaked the email has breached the Official Secrets Act (and yes every person who works in the civil service, permanent, temp or contractor) all sign that as part of the clearance process and you cant have an account without the clearance.
Old 11-01-22, 11:06 AM   #467
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
its tough if people dont like their current government but they were voted in by the majority and in this country the majority rule as its not a dictatorship.

these is a simple solution to the anger people feel when reading media/news... its called stop reading the stuff
If corruption, unethical behaviour, cronyism and rule breaking is discovered it should be reported so voters can (hopefully) make better decisions next time.

Burying our heads in the sand definitely won't help. Personally, I look at right wing and left wing media outlets and form my opinions from them. If I think something stinks I write to my MP.

We need people to stop voting for personalities ("what a lovable rogue Boris is" versus "isn't Kier Starmer boring"). Show me your manifesto promises and then stick to them if you're voted in (which the current government has not done).

Do your opinions rile me up? No, they're as worthless as mine - they're opinions and like a$$holes, everyone has one. Equally, if you don't like people commenting about the current government in a thread, don't read the thread
Old 11-01-22, 11:14 AM   #468
ethariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Show me your manifesto promises and then stick to them if you're voted in
My own pet bugbear when it comes to Political parties.

IMHO Political Parties should be legally bound to carry out thier Manifesto pledges, after all those are the reasons people voted for them in the first place

Presently any old ******** can be stuffed into a manifesto as there is nothing to make that party actually carry any of it out, it's just ethereal waffle.
Old 11-01-22, 01:19 PM   #469
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Integrity and honesty are sadly lacking from the Government.
its not just the Government of the UK its the whole world. social media has been a massive part in this. we now have a widespread "i'm alright Jack" attitude.

could be worse though we cold be living in North Korea or some third world country in Africa.

the UK with all its faults and Government is the best place to stay. yes there are better places but you have to be mega rich to stay there like Dubai for instance.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 05:01 PM   #470
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
its not just the Government of the UK its the whole world. social media has been a massive part in this. we now have a widespread "i'm alright Jack" attitude.

could be worse though we cold be living in North Korea or some third world country in Africa.

the UK with all its faults and Government is the best place to stay. yes there are better places but you have to be mega rich to stay there like Dubai for instance.

You are right and the best way to keep it that way is to ensure that we are informed about what our leaders are up to so that we can hold them to account. Thats why we need a free press and proper standards in public office.