SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-12-21, 05:27 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Thorn in my side...

...or more precisely; in my tyre.

I had gone for a ride since the roads were mostly dry. Cleaned the bike and oiled the chain on my return and decided to check tyre pressures (yes, I know you should do it cold). The rear was 20 psi.

There's no way I wouldn't notice a 20 psi rear tyre so I did a quick inspection which didn't reveal anything. I put the rear wheel on my chain lube rollers and slowly spun it - still nothing. I eventually started stroking it and my glove caught on something near the centre of the tread. It looked like a tiny piece of dirt but wouldn't rub off so I dug it out carefully and was rewarded by a pronounced hiss.
Pretty amazing, I use Avon Storm 3D X-M and they have a deep tread, this thorn had penetrated the deepest part of the tread - it was on the "mountain" not the "valley". In diameter it was about 0.5mm and had penetrated the tyre at an angle.

I had it professionally repaired but I still think refitting the Gen 3 rear wheel is a pain because of the brake caliper mounting bracket which loves to fall off its guide rail. It does look neat, though, because there's no torque arm - I've tried taking the caliper off before but then the pads fall off the rear ledge (of the caliper) so this time I tied the caliper and bracket to the swing arm and that seemed to work.

What would make life easier is a tyre cradle with built in raising mechanism* - I balance the wheel on pieces of wood slowly increasing their thickness until it's at the right height for the axle to slide in and why can't the spacers be captive? (Moan over)

EDIT *ask and you shall receive. Abbastands make one but at £70 is a bit pricey https://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?pid=15

Last edited by Seeker; 21-12-21 at 05:32 PM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-21, 07:08 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Thorn in my side...

Yes, I've got a block of wood that's just the right height for supporting the wheel so I can slide the spindle in when the bike's on the paddock stand.

Three hands would be useful to keep the caliper seated on the guide rail, while ensuring the disc slides between the pads, while lifting the wheel to slide the spindle in, but it usually all goes together at the second or third attempt
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-21, 07:50 PM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
but it usually all goes together at the second or third attempt
...but then you realise that "clunk" you heard was one of the spacers dropping on the floor and rolling out of sight, after you had finally got the axle through...
Old 21-12-21, 08:38 PM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

Yep, that usually happens the first or second time ...
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-21, 05:46 PM   #5
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
...or more precisely; in my tyre.

I had gone for a ride since the roads were mostly dry. Cleaned the bike and oiled the chain on my return and decided to check tyre pressures (yes, I know you should do it cold). The rear was 20 psi.

There's no way I wouldn't notice a 20 psi rear tyre so I did a quick inspection which didn't reveal anything. I put the rear wheel on my chain lube rollers and slowly spun it - still nothing. I eventually started stroking it and my glove caught on something near the centre of the tread. It looked like a tiny piece of dirt but wouldn't rub off so I dug it out carefully and was rewarded by a pronounced hiss.
Pretty amazing, I use Avon Storm 3D X-M and they have a deep tread, this thorn had penetrated the deepest part of the tread - it was on the "mountain" not the "valley". In diameter it was about 0.5mm and had penetrated the tyre at an angle.

I had it professionally repaired but I still think refitting the Gen 3 rear wheel is a pain because of the brake caliper mounting bracket which loves to fall off its guide rail. It does look neat, though, because there's no torque arm - I've tried taking the caliper off before but then the pads fall off the rear ledge (of the caliper) so this time I tied the caliper and bracket to the swing arm and that seemed to work.

What would make life easier is a tyre cradle with built in raising mechanism* - I balance the wheel on pieces of wood slowly increasing their thickness until it's at the right height for the axle to slide in and why can't the spacers be captive? (Moan over)

EDIT *ask and you shall receive. Abbastands make one but at £70 is a bit pricey https://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?pid=15
It would also make life easier if they cleared up the roads of debris fairly soon after roadside hedges have been cut .They throw out some pretty big thorns to be left lying in the road after they have gone along with the tractor and hedge trimmer.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote