SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-03-22, 10:11 PM   #1
EssEllTwo

Default Fitted my K-Tech springs this weekend

After reading the many fork threads on here, I got myself a set of 8.5 K-Tech springs to fix the soggy stock front end on my SL2 and fitted them last weekend.

Some threads said the K-Tech springs were longer than stock, some shorter. Either way I armed myself with some 32mm waste pipe to knock up some new spacers. It turned out my new springs were 15mm shorter than stock and with my stock spacers at 45mm long, I cut a couple of 55mm long spacers for the new springs.

I have got some RSF 7.5w oil but as I had a load of 500ml bottles of 20w oil from years go when I had some sponsorship from Silkolene so I decided to have a little play with mixing before committing to the new oil. I took out 100ml of the old oil with a syringe and added 100ml of the 20w back in, plus a smidge extra (10-20ml) to get the air gap to 95mm.

After reassembly I checked out the sag, with no preload on the adjusters, I had about 10mm static and 21mm rider sag. So, back down to the workshop, two 50mm spacers were trued up in the lathe and I swapped the 55mm one out. This time I ended up with 28mm rider sag, so I was about to turn down the 55m ones to 45 mm until I remembered that was the stock spacer length, so I dug them out of the box I'd stored them in and plopped them back in.

Now I was able to turn the adjusters down to the first ring to the desired 30mm sag setting. Bearing in mind I wasn't in leathers when checking the sag, I'm at least now in a zone where I can play with the adjusters. I took the bike out for a spin and it was another step change in confidence on it (after the TPS adjustment). It felt so much more compliant over the bumps and way more stable in corners.

I need to ride it around a lot more to fine tune the damping and air gap, but already it feels like a different bike. Loving it!

BTW, it anyone wants some custom fork spacers, I have a pair of 55mm ones, a pair of 50mm ones and 2.79m of waste pipe left!
EssEllTwo is offline   Reply With Quote