SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-08-07, 11:34 AM   #1
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Stupid questions about riding in Ireland

Just thinking out loud here really, but I wondered what's needed in terms of documentation if I go on a weekend away on the bike to the republic or ireland? Do you need an EHIC for healthcare like you do on the continent, ferinstance? Any insurance considerations? And (brace for it) now I think of it (here comes the really stupid question) do you need a passport to get into the republic? Cos I don't have one, currently, and that would be a little inconvenient
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-07, 11:42 AM   #2
MiniMatt

Default Re: Stupid questions about riding in Ireland

Passport yes, it's another country innit. Though technically I vaguely remember some (doubtless urban myth) that you might not need a passport to travel in the EU. Almost certainly an urban myth (or irrelevant as terrorism fears mean you'll not take two steps without one).

On the EHIC thingy, I think Quiff went through this one just a short while ago, consensus was yep, worth having, and £15 for health cover might not be a bad idea just in case either.
Old 13-08-07, 11:45 AM   #3
gettin2dizzy

you'll need a passport just to be allowed in to england!
Old 13-08-07, 11:50 AM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

We went last year, I didnt have a valid passport at the time, Liz looked it up and you just need photo ID, not that I got asked for it. So I think if you have photo card driving license that should be OK.

Dont know about the other stuff as Liz sorted most of it out, but I dont recall her saying we needed or that we took out health cover.

I did check my insurance was valid and that the breakdown cover was to.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-07, 11:53 AM   #5
MeridiaNx

I don't believe it is an urban myth, at least unless it's changed in the last year or so. You can travel to EU countries without a passport as long as you have an alternative form of ID but I must add a caveat to that:

I know this is the case if you fly to somewhere in the EU, i.e. airports will let you go without a passport. I don't know if you would still need one for land crossings however?
Old 13-08-07, 12:05 PM   #6
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridiaNx View Post
I know this is the case if you fly to somewhere in the EU, i.e. airports will let you go without a passport.
they won't... not BA anyway...

flew to montpellier with the family a short while back and since my dad had seen fit to make copies of all the passports for safe keeping mine got left in the scanner - got as far as the check-in desk, no flying for me and a trip home and back to catch the flight the following day

this was the end of last summer, as far as i know the situation hasn't changed as i flew to italy only a few weeks ago and they specifically asked for passports
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-07, 12:09 PM   #7
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
you'll need a passport just to be allowed in to england!
Why's that then I thought the UK opened it's doors to every single person in the world. Is that not the case Could have fooled me.

Having been there last year, you don't need a passport. I went across using my driving licence.
Old 13-08-07, 12:55 PM   #8
booner

Having dated an Irish girl (who lived in County Cork) for some time and having undertaken many a trip to see her, I can confirm (at least at the last time of going to see her) that a passport was not neeed for travel to the RoI (some form of photo I.D. is though). That said, my travel was only ever from airports so not 100% sure of the rules for seaports but I would think that it would be the same regardless of route of entry.

In terms of health insurance, not essential but I would recommend getting the new EHIC. Hospital treatment in Ireland isn't free as they have no equivalent of the NHS.

Other than that, what else can I say? The roads are mental (sometimes poorly maintained and once off the main routes, VERY narrow) but I can imagine very enjoyable. The people are absolutely fantastic. It can be quite pricey (second most expensive place to live in Europe I was told/read somewhere) but the scenery is beautiful.

Any thought's on where you're going in RoI?

Oh, and breakdown cover might be worth thinking of! Then again, don't expect a swift response should you break down...the Irish are VERY laid back.

Last edited by booner; 13-08-07 at 12:59 PM.
Old 13-08-07, 01:11 PM   #9
MeridiaNx

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
they won't... not BA anyway...

flew to montpellier with the family a short while back and since my dad had seen fit to make copies of all the passports for safe keeping mine got left in the scanner - got as far as the check-in desk, no flying for me and a trip home and back to catch the flight the following day

this was the end of last summer, as far as i know the situation hasn't changed as i flew to italy only a few weeks ago and they specifically asked for passports
Hmmm, could've sworn I was able to on cheapies like EasyJet. Maybe I'm just getting confused Either way, seems you can go to RoI without one from everyone else's posts.
Old 13-08-07, 01:36 PM   #10
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridiaNx View Post
Hmmm, could've sworn I was able to on cheapies like EasyJet. Maybe I'm just getting confused Either way, seems you can go to RoI without one from everyone else's posts.
this would explain it, quote from http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/fsj...chengen_en.htm

Quote:
Ireland and the United Kingdom never signed up to the Schengen Convention and have thus not ended border controls with other EU Member States, although they will participate, in the future, in those aspects of Schengen that entail cooperation between police forces and the judiciary. For this reason, EU citizens, as well as third-country nationals, still have to show their passports when travelling between the UK or Ireland and the rest of the EU (although not between Ireland and the UK, which together with the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man constitute a common travel area for which passports are not needed).
looks like you are only able to travel within the fully signed up countries; Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden (and outside the EU; Norway and Iceland) without showing a passport

i'd say just take plenty of ID, nothing worse than having to trek home to fetch it
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote