SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-07-08, 01:13 PM   #1
Frank

Default insurance time again

I opened my mail today to find a letter from my insurance co, telling me that my insurane runs out on 1 Aug.The renewal price for 3rd party etc is £99.
playing crafty I called them and notified them that I wouldnt be renewing it as I had a quote for £99 for fully comp.Thirty seconds later ,they inform me that if I stay with them, then they can match the price for comp insurance.
Just goes to show how much lower they can go if pushed.
Sounds a good price to me for a 2003 yr ,600 bandit .
Old 15-07-08, 01:26 PM   #2
ooger

Default Re: insurance time again

Excellent work - I do like a bit of "beat the agent". I thoroughly encourage it. My favourite approach is just to sit in silence after you tell them that the renewal quote is too high (dont tell them why though). They do squirm a bit.

On a related matter, does anyone know if you get a refund for whole months of unexpired insurance if you declare a vehicle SORN, or sell it on and have proof that you have? I guess it depends on the insurer.

Never done it before, that's all.
Old 15-07-08, 01:33 PM   #3
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooger View Post
Excellent work - I do like a bit of "beat the agent". I thoroughly encourage it. My favourite approach is just to sit in silence after you tell them that the renewal quote is too high (dont tell them why though). They do squirm a bit.

On a related matter, does anyone know if you get a refund for whole months of unexpired insurance if you declare a vehicle SORN, or sell it on and have proof that you have? I guess it depends on the insurer.

you should get some back mate ,I have done before,but it depends on the time you have left.
Bytheway ,if you are on a SORN then it is in your favour to keep the insurance.I had a bike off the road once and some toerag nicked it.
Old 15-07-08, 01:37 PM   #4
Baph

Congrats gid! You jammy old bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooger View Post

Generally, they have an acceptable refund policy. Basically, cancel in 14 days, get 100% back, cancel 1 month after you take the policy, 90% back, 2 months = 75% back, 3 months = 50% back, 4 months = 25% back, 5 months = 10% back... anything later than that into the insurance period, and well, you get nadda, zilch, nothing. Not even a cup of coffee.

Least, that's how my insurance co do things.

Last edited by Baph; 15-07-08 at 01:48 PM. Reason: policy == police ... wtf was I thinking?
Old 15-07-08, 01:43 PM   #5
Biker_Billy

Worth asking about a refund. I have just sold my car, rang the insurance co up to cancel the policy and they have returned the remaining months of my policy minus a 20 quid admin fee. I only had around 3 months to go before it ran out anyway.

BB.
Old 15-07-08, 01:44 PM   #6
ooger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Congrats gid! You jammy old bugger!

Generally, they have an acceptable refund policy. Basically, cancel in 14 days, get 100% back, cancel 1 month after you take the police, 90% back, 2 months = 75% back, 3 months = 50% back, 4 months = 25% back, 5 months = 10% back... anything later than that into the insurance period, and well, you get nadda, zilch, nothing. Not even a cup of coffee.

Least, that's how my insurance co do things.
Hmm, that makes sense. In fact I think I recall that after I got shot of my last car years ago. Its for the car, not the bike, and I'm not SORNing it, im handing it over for scrap (at the mo) so the insurance aint a problem.

Ta
Old 15-07-08, 02:31 PM   #7
AndyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
I opened my mail today to find a letter from my insurance co, telling me that my insurane runs out on 1 Aug.The renewal price for 3rd party etc is £99.
playing crafty I called them and notified them that I wouldnt be renewing it as I had a quote for £99 for fully comp.Thirty seconds later ,they inform me that if I stay with them, then they can match the price for comp insurance.
Just had to renew mine. With Hastings direct, due 6th August. Wouldn't give me a renewal quote over the phone last week, only good for 25 days apparently. Filled in online quote thing, came back 167 fully comp, (2007 SV650S, 1 SP60 in last 5 years, 2 yrs no claims). They rang back to see why I hadn't taken it, told them waiting for paper renewal quote. Rang back today, paper quote is 270. Went through details of on-line quote vs paper quote, identical policy & details held except less excess on online. They renewed it based on price from online.
Old 15-07-08, 04:27 PM   #8
Girth
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
I opened my mail today to find a letter from my insurance co, telling me that my insurane runs out on 1 Aug.The renewal price for 3rd party etc is ?99.
playing crafty I called them and notified them that I wouldnt be renewing it as I had a quote for ?99 for fully comp.Thirty seconds later ,they inform me that if I stay with them, then they can match the price for comp insurance.

Can't wait until i'm your age so i can get the same prices, but thats aleast another 30 years off so will have to just wait
Old 15-07-08, 05:06 PM   #9
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girth View Post
Can't wait until i'm your age so i can get the same prices, but thats aleast another 30 years off so will have to just wait
At this rate I wouldnt put money on another 30 days for you ya cheaky northern bugger