SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-06-20, 04:53 PM   #1
gadget

Default Carb tuning aid ... possibly

Not long balanced my carbs with my home brew manometer, went very well indeed. The balance screw though is soooooo sensitive, the slightest touch throws it all over the place. Perhaps I should have used a slightly higher viscosity fluid along with the air valves. Anyway, it occurred to me that if I could adapt the adjustment screw to mimick the idle screw, there would be no need to remove the air box etc. And no need for using a screwdriver for adjustment (just a turn of the knob)! Anyone ever thought about or tried this? Doesn't look to be a difficult thing to sort.
What's your thoughts.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 07:10 PM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Carb tuning aid ... possibly

Off the top of my head I'd say that sounds like a good idea. Actually surprised that none of us have thought about doing this before. It would need an accessible mounting bracket so that you could lock the adjuster after you've done.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 07:30 PM   #3
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Off the top of my head I'd say that sounds like a good idea. Actually surprised that none of us have thought about doing this before. It would need an accessible mounting bracket so that you could lock the adjuster after you've done.
Already started the little project, I'm going to use a straight shaft of approximately 4mm, couple / glue that to a semi flexible tube which will attach / glue to an equivalent size screw that replaces the original adjustment screw at the other (carb adjustment end). I will then attach a small knurled thumb screw which can be adjusted between thumb and fore finger (much like the idle screw) st the opposite end and can be accessed through a gap in the front frame tubes. The total length and angle and fixing bracket have yet to be finalised, but it's an ongoing project which I'm sure will work just fine, it will negate the need to remove the airbox, or lift tank, in order to balance carbs and if you've already done the vacuum pipe mod ... it should be a doddle to keep your carbs spot on. I also think that by not removing the air box to balance the carbs may give a better 'real world' tune as the filter and flow rate will remain largely unchanged. Sounds a bit complicated but the same design may also be able to be accomplished using a spare idle knob/cable assembly!!? Might look in to that too.
What's your thoughts?

Last edited by gadget; 29-06-20 at 07:38 PM.
Old 30-06-20, 01:35 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

dont bother is my take on it. carbs dont need balanced that often. if they do then there is something else causing problems. attaching anything to the adjuster could cause it to move with vibration.

what is of use is permanent vacuum spigot extenders.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-20, 06:07 PM   #5
gadget

Object of the exercise was to make the job of balancing a little easier, not to do it more often. The adjustment knob will be locked off anyway after balancing. As far as I'm concerned it's a 'win-win' situation. If no-one bothered with modifying/improving their bikes we would all just blur into biking insignificance.
The permanent vacuum mod is as you say a 'must have', but combined with the adjuster mod ...could just makes the job a whole lot easier.

Last edited by gadget; 30-06-20 at 06:38 PM.
Old 30-06-20, 07:09 PM   #6
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

VFR800 Idle adjuster cable might work.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 08:54 AM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I'm all for modifications but I agree with Biblio,

Check here,

https://cx500.000webhostapp.com/SV650Carb_Balance.html

If a user wants to add a spigot extender they must allow for the extra tube length in their calculations e.g make sure when connected to the,"Balancer" both tubes are of the exact same length otherwise they will get a false reading and never be able to get a correct balance. Also the tubes need,"Restrictors " in them to stop balance fluctuations.

The,"Carbtune 2" I bought over 15 years ago is still one of the best made quality pieces of kit I've ever bought and still like brand new and so easy to use.

http://www.carbtune.co.uk/carbcust.html

HTH

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 01-07-20 at 09:15 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote