SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-03-19, 07:37 AM   #21
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Advice on getting my bike going after a long lay off

You can split the caliper or just drill a hole in the caliper and punch the old pin out.

Obviously the hole needs to be smaller than the diameter of the pin
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 08:16 AM   #22
andy650

If the pins are that bad, you will probably find the pistons and seal grooves also need attention, which requires a caliper split.

I would just split the caliper anyway, you may need to cut the pins in half to get the caliper apart, then you can easily twist and pull each pin half out.

Drilling and punching would be my last resort.
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 09:23 AM   #23
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000curvy View Post
. And I really like your Remus can R1ffR4ff, and your bike looks great, I've not seen on in that colour before.

Thanks again all for your continued help and advice
It's a cheap,"Chinaprovich" slip-on £29.95 ish
Old 11-03-19, 06:57 PM   #24
2000curvy

My apologies for the lack of updates. I twisted my knee last week and have been having trouble walking on it. We are getting married in three weeks, and my Domestic Line Manager has left me in no certain terms as to how sympathetic she'll be if I knacker it even further before the big day and subsequent honeymoon. So the bike was put on the back burner for a few days.

I've been able to sort out the the throttle so it now uses both cables and closes off nicely.

I soaked the tank in vinegar and have pressure washed it out numerous times and all the rust appears to have been removed. I have also taken the rear caliper off, but my only Allen key which fits the bolts is on one of those multi Allen key things. The bolts are so tight I think it'll break before they come undone, so I'll take it to my local bike shop. I've ordered new pins which should be here any day now.

The fuel level sensor is broken as the wires appear to have corroded away but I've put it back in as I wanted to try and start it today.

I bought some new fuel and gave it a go, jump starting it using my car. It didn't turn over very quickly, but I seem to remember my old GS500 didn't turn over very quickly either, so that's probably normal. Although it was turning over, it didn't make any sounds as if it was going to start. I tried an old plug against the head which was sparking, but not brilliantly. That plug was taken out of my old GN250 which also hasn't been used in donkeys years, so I'm not sure if that plug isn't too good either. I'll get two new plugs to be on the safe side.

I'll take a look under the airbox in case I've kinked any pipes which is not helping things. Even though the fuel level sensor is broken I connected it up to the block connector, and the orange fuel light was lit. I can't imagine this is stopping it from starting, but does anyone know any different?

I'll let you know how it goes when I next get to have a look at it, but if anyone has any suggestions as to what to check next then it'd be very much appreciated. Regards Nick
2000curvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 06:59 PM   #25
2000curvy

*uncertain terms!
Old 11-03-19, 07:11 PM   #26
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Fuel light being on shouldn't stop it from starting, unless it's functioning and actually on becuase you have no fuel.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 07:24 PM   #27
2000curvy

I put 5 litres in it Adam Ef, so it has fuel in it. But im not sure as yet if it's getting through. I'm sure the sensor won't be working as both the wires are disconnected, and the lower 'cylindrical' thing is no longer connected to the main body of the sensor
Old 11-03-19, 07:29 PM   #28
andy650

Decent tools and heat will help split the caliper, but they can be difficult (its probably not been touched in 20 years!)

My SV's fuel light stayed on permanently when the loom rubbed through by the tank hinge, the other effect was a terrible misfire when hot - worth you checking the loom.
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote