SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-03-19, 05:08 PM   #11
Rano

Default Re: No main or dipped beam.

To be fair, the actual plug pins and receptacles were ok, no signs of electrolytic corrosion. But bad crimps on the 8 way plugs. I need to find some after market higher quality plug-sockets and re wire both plugs. Another job on the list��

Last edited by Rano; 25-03-19 at 05:52 PM.
Rano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-19, 05:51 PM   #12
Rano

Cheers dude.
I head a go cleaning the sockets with electro-clean and a TeePee tooth flossing stick (fits in perfect) Also a pure(ish) silicone grease ( like the stuff divers use) is not bad for squeezing into the rear of the plugs ( where the wires go in) as a water barrier. Done that a few times, also used it smeared over joints before heat shrinking. I'll look into it further once I've found some good quality water proof connectors, cut back the loom and re terminate both plugs properly.
Old 25-03-19, 07:45 PM   #13
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rano View Post
Cheers dude.

I head a go cleaning the sockets with electro-clean and a TeePee tooth flossing stick (fits in perfect) Also a pure(ish) silicone grease ( like the stuff divers use) is not bad for squeezing into the rear of the plugs ( where the wires go in) as a water barrier. Done that a few times, also used it smeared over joints before heat shrinking. I'll look into it further once I've found some good quality water proof connectors, cut back the loom and re terminate both plugs properly.

I think you are right Rano, the quality of the ordinary crimped connections is not very good, I think because the SV range is built down to a cost. I’ve lost track of the number of joints I’ve soldered and heat shrunk on properly as I work my way through the K6 I bought a few months ago. The block connectors themselves seem to be okay.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 25-03-19, 09:24 PM   #14
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I pulled the block connectors under the tank apart when I was doing the bar conversion and that tell tale white dust came out of all of them. A sign that the whole bike needed going over.

That one in the nose cone was the worst though. It sits exactly where the bottom of the screen joins the fairing, so the screen essentially funnels water down into it. Mine is now moved slightly and solidly taped up, with a length of bike inner tube cable tied over it too.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-19, 11:00 AM   #15
Rano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I pulled the block connectors under the tank apart when I was doing the bar conversion and that tell tale white dust came out of all of them. A sign that the whole bike needed going over.

That one in the nose cone was the worst though. It sits exactly where the bottom of the screen joins the fairing, so the screen essentially funnels water down into it. Mine is now moved slightly and solidly taped up, with a length of bike inner tube cable tied over it too.

Smashing idea. Cheaper and greener then rubber loom tape.
Old 26-03-19, 06:23 PM   #16
SV650rules
Mega Poster

https://www.diy.com/departments/core.../173415_BQ.prd

Try self amalgamating tape, also available in 25mm width and much beloved by sparkies and satellite dish engineers for waterproofing cable joints and plugs.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-19, 06:53 PM   #17
Rano

Cheers Buddy���� That's the stuff.
Old 28-03-19, 05:51 AM   #18
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rano View Post
Cheers Buddy���� That's the stuff.
Ah yes, I forgot to mention self-amalgamating tape (I do a little bit of sparky work - not really a business any more), I always seal up any connector boxes I take apart with it, and use it to re-seal any bit of loom I have to undo. It works really well.