SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-07-06, 11:31 AM   #1
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default These new exhausts...

Can one of you zorst gurus tell me what's so great about the 2-piece silencers that are turning up on the latest GSXRs etc. The aftermarket ones don't look bad (e.g. Yoshi but can't see why you like the Laser ones for the life of me), though the OE GSXR600 tagnut dangling underneath is pretty 'orrible. Presumably these work better than the pipe-and-bean-tin arrangement we're more used to in the world of bikes?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-06, 01:17 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

It's fashion and "mass centralisation". Funny enough, I just centralised that mass and I can't tell a bit of difference. They also look a wee bit Moto GP. Seen the GSXR ones off the bike? Horrible, just horrible. But I do like the Laser one, it's got a nice retro look going on.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-06, 01:20 PM   #3
thor

It's because the 'cats are massive. Look at the standard point SV can. Massive, heavy, stuck out at the end of the bike. Not good for balance. All they have done is bring them in and under the engine so making a better weight distribution.
Old 27-07-06, 01:23 PM   #4
kwak zzr

was looking at the gixers the other day at my local dealer k5 and k6 models if i were buying a bike purely for looks i would get the k5 with the normal exhaust can its where an exhaust should be (or under the pillion seat) i cant see all the fuss in copying moto gp styles evan if it does make the bike a tincy wincy bit better, next we'll be having carbon brakes which dont work when there cold just cuz rossis got them on his bike
Old 27-07-06, 02:35 PM   #5
SV650Racer

Its down to gas speed and so on and weight centralisation...if that wasnt the case why would they do it to a motogp bike Development onto the GSXR range comes from what they learn racing the bikes..ableit in a different guise.

Plus they dont burn your **** like the underseat ones do
Old 27-07-06, 03:13 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Yep, but on a moto gp bike they're basically unbaffled, the same doesn't apply for a road bike- so copying the cosmetics of the GP bike but forcing it into the needs of a road bike is a little daft, some would say. I like 'em, so i don't care either way. The GSXR one's an utter monstrosity, mind.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-06, 09:30 AM   #7
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Thanks guys! (that's a generic term before Sarah flames me) Racergirl, I'd argue GP is a different kettle of fish, VFM doesn't come into it if they can get a little advantage over the other teams, but you're right it's been done for a reason. See what you mean about the weight though. Pointless copying of race bikes? As if... GSXR one is indeed revolting but can't see the attraction of the Laser one. And it's a Laser one.

On the subject of stuff from racing, can someone tell me why they (you?) have little sweatbands round the front brake reservoirs? This is the one thing I've not managed to figure out.
Old 28-07-06, 09:38 AM   #8
curium

These bikes are race-reps. A lot of them will turn up on race tracks and the

Supersport series require them to be homologated.

Once they hit the track the cats will be removed and the full benefit will be revealed.
Old 04-08-06, 10:28 AM   #9
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod
...can someone tell me why they (you?) have little sweatbands round the front brake reservoirs? This is the one thing I've not managed to figure out.
Bumpety bump... anyone?
Old 04-08-06, 10:48 AM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I dont like those side exit pipes. I've got big feet and I'm not convinced that on a hot day I wont catch my foot on the exhaust and melt my boot.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote