SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-04-07, 02:48 AM   #1
monkey

Default Doing a mini US tour on a Harley-any tips?

Hello peeps. Me and the Missus are going on a mini tour (1000 miles) in the US in July on a big fat Harley Electa Glide. I've never toured at all so don't really know what to take to wear or what to expect. We're going to do a big circle from LA to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas with a few stops on the way taking 9 days with a few more in LA at the end. It's self guided with hotels booked up for us in advance. Apparently the temperature can be up to 38 degrees so not really sure what to wear on the bike. I was gonna do it in normal clothes. I'd heard the speed limits were lower over there? Of course I'll be taking it very easy too having only ever had one pillion and riding nearly 400kg of bike!

Anyone done anything similar or got any tips for us?

Cheers.
Old 17-04-07, 06:42 AM   #2
ivantate

Default Re: Doing a mini US tour on a Harley-any tips?

I really want to do this but havent looked into it yet.

I ahve driven a fair bit around Florida and the yanks generally drive like nutters on the interstate there.

Maybe leather jackets and some kevlar Jeans (draggin I think) would be reasonable. There are alot of well vented jackets and trousers at the moment, was at infinity at the weekend looking at a jacket that was 50% mesh.
Depends whether you want image or safety, same as over here.
Old 17-04-07, 08:08 AM   #3
Steve H

A couple of years back, my wife and I drove from New York to Boston via Cape Cod and I have to say that the driving there was much, much more relaxed than in Britain. This probably has something to do with area of Britain I live in being vastly over populated but also down to lower speed limits, greater actual police presence and the fact that the Americans seemed to be much more laid back when it came to driving from A to B. imo

Enjoy your trip. Something ive always wanted to do.
Old 17-04-07, 08:15 AM   #4
lukemillar
Mega Poster

A couple of years ago I drove from San Francisco to New York! Speed limits are a little lower - seemed to remember my missus getting pulled for 80 in a 65! I think you'll find the riding pretty easy as out fo towns and cities the traffic is a lot quieter compared to the UK. Nevada will be damm hot though - don't know which way I'd want to play it with riding gear - leathers will cook you - even textile stuff would get pretty warm.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-07, 08:47 AM   #5
the white rabbit

Ask on advrider or svrider I would. I'd take mesh gear and a rainsuit from experience there but not on bike should add. A very airy mesh jacket and a t underneath should be good and maybe some mesh trousers. A flip front helmet might be an idea. It does get hot there.
HG do some decent cheap hot weather gear.
Driving standards arnt bad and will seem slower as said above but that wont matter two up on a Harley as you will be crusing
Oh, and take decent medical travel insurance. Carole Nash's isnt bril as travel insurance per se but definitely includes cover for riding plus pannier contents and kit.

Last edited by the white rabbit; 17-04-07 at 08:49 AM.
Old 17-04-07, 11:28 AM   #6
Kylie

Did a very similar tour a couple of years back, but, er, we hired a big 4x4 truck, not a bike. It was damn hot out in Nevada and the California deserts (especially Death Valley) but I suppose if you wear mesh jackets and draggin jeans you'll be ok. The roads in LA are congested as hell and can be a bit mad, the roads out of LA are generally much more relaxed and will be fine. There were a good few caravan towing trucks on their side on the LA to Vegas road, not sure if that was due to freak gusts or just stupidity, anyway made the trip a little better!

We went from LA to disneyland (don't bother, its for kids, Universal Studios is way better) then on to Vegas. We then went through Death Valley up to Yosemite. The Sierra Nevada mountains are definetly worth a visit, if you are taking a tent there are some nice campsites just outside yosemite park (you won't be able to book a campsite inside, there's a 5 year waiting list) plus some nice little towns too. We then went on to San Francisco, thats worth seeing if you can, being America its car/bike friendly right in to downtown. Then we took the coast road past Big Sur and Hurst Castle (worth seeing) back to LA. Took us 14 days I think, but we did lots of stops.
Old 17-04-07, 12:40 PM   #7
TC3

I am out that part of the USA almost every year visiting wifes familly. If you have never rode or drove out there be very wary that they overtake in any lane and learn the different signs such as 4 way stop and the fact you can often turn right on a red light. Will be very very hot and full gear will kill you so may i suggest both of you getting summer padded jackets and light padded jeans like Draggin Jeans. Needless to say you should also get light gloves etc. I would not leave anything to chance so get what you want out here before u go as i found the assortment avaliable in bike shops out there can be very limited and it takes a bit of running round getting what you will need.
Have a great time.....i love driving out there but riding is a pain as they really do enforce the low silly speed limits so watch out for cops that are invisable at the brow of a hill or in the air etc. Also remember that they are not allowed to filter to the front of a queue or filter at all basically
Old 17-04-07, 01:49 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

You can't fall off a Glide, it'd be like trying to fall off France
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-07, 02:45 PM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

I drove out there, done the best part of1200 miles. however flew from LA to Vegas and the canyon. But drove from Cisco to LA. I found driving out there relxaed compared to us. Everyone sticks very much around the limits. Interstates are maily 70mph normaly 55mph. A mesh jacket, draggin jeans/Combats and some mesh gloves or at least very summer gloves, shades and as said an open face lid or flip front. A set of water proofs, shorts, t shirts, lots of deodrant, and some sort of low bike boot. Prepare yourself for the canyon and vegas. Like two places you will never ever see again!!

They overtake on either side, turn right on most red lights and will honk at the drop of a hat. However, just cruise, its what a harley is made for. Take clothes in a cheap sports bag then either leve them at the Harley pick up place and buy new ones to come home in, and keep you stuff in the bik panniers in black bags or similar, or maybe the sports bag will fit in the bike.

I loved drving out there, much more relaxed tha the UK, and Pacific Highway 1 is Awesome.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-07, 04:35 PM   #10
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich View Post
Driving standards arnt bad and will seem slower as said above but that wont matter two up on a Harley as you will be crusing
There'll be more cruuuuuuuuiiiiiising than if Penelope and Tom had a baby named Cruise Cruise-Cruz.

Shades all the way.