SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-09-10, 05:42 AM   #1
metalangel

Default Incompetent managers GRRRRR

Rant detected on intercept course...

Just background: We have two offices, Cardiff and Swindon. Here in Cardiff, there are two desks, mine does mornings and evenings, and the other does mornings, evenings and nights.

Over a year ago, someone from the other desk went off on maternity. The 'management' had a fair bit of warning (you know, about 9 months!) but maternity cover was not even interviewed until TWO WEEKS before that someone went off to have her kid (and she worked practically until she popped!)

Fast forward to today. Maternity cover person finishes on the second, new mother returns on the ninth. Except, that's 02/10/10 and 09/11/10! Maternity cover person has been messed around so much by the managers that she flat out turned down their requests to stay on, and is desperate to return to her old job despite it being on significantly less money.

Their two options were either to have the Swindon office cover the other desk's nights so they could ensure all the days were done, or have everyone work lots of overtime. They decided on the overtime!

And to put a big fat glacee cherry on top, there's a vacancy on the other desk. They are only now interviewing for it on Thursday (again, only about two weeks before) and expect whoever they hire to be up and running by sometime in JANUARY.

So we have about two MONTHS of lots and lots of overtime to look forward to. When am I going to use my 16 (!) days of leave up between now and the end of the year?
Old 13-09-10, 06:22 AM   #2
Bri w

Default Re: Incompetent managers GRRRRR

In the main, its about money.

What happens if you interview someone, offer them a contract and start date and the prospective mum miscarries? You're then overstaffed and bust the budget.

Don't understand the 6 week gap between the end of maternity cover and end of maternity leave.

On the issue of vacancies and interviews etc. If an employee resigns the company won't advertise the post, or set up interviews till after the employee leaves. What happens if the employee withdraws the resignation? Overstaffed and over budget, or at the very least a few grand wasted on advertising.

With regards your leave, get the application(s) banged in. That way if they are refused you have evidence at year end should your employer have a limit to the number of days you can carry over.

your's,

incompetent mgr

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-10, 07:11 AM   #3
metalangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w View Post
On the issue of vacancies and interviews etc. If an employee resigns the company won't advertise the post, or set up interviews till after the employee leaves. What happens if the employee withdraws the resignation? Overstaffed and over budget, or at the very least a few grand wasted on advertising.
All applicants are internal at the moment, so that doesn't really apply. And this vacancy (and there's several others in the Swindon office too!) has been known about since the maternity leave started.

Quote:
With regards your leave, get the application(s) banged in. That way if they are refused you have evidence at year end should your employer have a limit to the number of days you can carry over.
Yeah, I'm aware of this. I tend to keep my A/L for a rainy day and end up having a lot of time off at the end of the year (foolish? not really, most people here book it all off by March and then have nothing left) but yeah, they do have a limit of carrying over (ie: none) so I expect I'll end up with a bit extra.

While I appreciate some of the reasons you've given, a lot of this comes down to the fact they've screwed up, left a lot to the last minute and now we have to suffer while they will swan in and out 9-5 Monday-Friday. Because they don't know how to do our jobs and so can't help out covering us!
Old 13-09-10, 09:47 AM   #4
arenalife

This kind of mismangement is rife, here they forgot to get rid of the maternity cover in time and under new employer law she became a full employee by default so couldn't just get terminated. Had to make her redundant then come up with an elaborate scheme to allow the new mum to come back to work a job that didn't exist anymore although her rights guaranteed it.
Old 13-09-10, 10:28 AM   #5
collis

what company is this for?
just wondering as this sounds like typical management plans that dont ever make sence, 16 days of bike riding lost ey?
Old 15-09-10, 11:49 AM   #6
blue curvy jester

Great peice of advice i was given when i had to carry out the interview for the first time was , your either lucky or wrong !