SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-05-08, 03:25 PM   #1
Dave The Rave

Default Honda VTR

I think I really like them. They are cheap as beans, Honda build quality and they even sound good with the OEM cans. I know they are bit firsty but the tank got bigger 2000 onwards I think so that is not such an issue.

Does anyone own one? If so what are the cons/pros. Would recommend one or not?

Other option is blade but they are more costly.
Old 23-05-08, 03:38 PM   #2
stewie

Default Re: Honda VTR

I think Viper,s got one, he loves it, PM him
Old 23-05-08, 04:17 PM   #3
philbut

I've heard that they drink fuel like nobodys business! not owned one so can't really comment. Would like to have a go on one myself actually. I think BIKE have bought a second hand 2000 model to run on long term test so it might be worth having a look there to see what they say.
Old 23-05-08, 04:58 PM   #4
BillyC
Mega Poster

For what it's worth, I've ridden my mate's SP1 and SP2... they're a great fun ride, but completely impractical - they'd drive you up the wall if you were to use them every day. Just little things, like putting the side stand down - nearly impossible!

I know it's a bit more than a standard VTR... but worth knowing!
Old 23-05-08, 05:06 PM   #5
Dangerous Dave

The VTR1000 Firestorms are great bikes, yes they are a little thirsty even with the bigger tank but they are still a great bike! As standard they have a great engine and a fantastic chassis only let down by the fork forks, similar to the SV really. A spring and oil change makes all the difference with the Firestorm, the engine also responds well to tuning work again just like the SV.
Old 23-05-08, 06:14 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

I don't think they stack up too well compared to the SV thou to be fair, but they're still good bikes. Assuming you mean the regular VTR not the SP-1 or SP-2, which are either amazingly good or absolutely terrible, depending on what you're trying to make them do.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-08, 06:53 PM   #7
DoodleBug

I had a 'storm, and it was a good bike, thirsty but not all that quick, compared to say the TL I had. Forks are pants. Cam chain tensioners are prone to failure, easy/cheap fix for that though.

I had some lovely underseat pipes that sounded amazing. Build quailty is everything you'd expect from Honda.

Other down side is that there are not many aftermarket parts for it, and you'll always wonder what an SP would be like instead
Old 23-05-08, 07:30 PM   #8
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave The Rave View Post
I think I really like them. They are cheap as beans, Honda build quality and they even sound good with the OEM cans. I know they are bit firsty but the tank got bigger 2000 onwards I think so that is not such an issue.

Does anyone own one? If so what are the cons/pros. Would recommend one or not?

Other option is blade but they are more costly.
I owned one in '98 for 18 months and did quite a few miles on it. I don't regret buying it, but I don't regret selling it either.

It was...'ok' in every respect, ok power, ok brakes, ok handling, ok everything, but not great at anything.

I wouldn't sell any of my current bikes to buy another even if it was dirt cheap.