SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-09-18, 10:40 AM   #1581
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Re: The All new Reeder Megathread

Sounds like my view of those who queued for new iPhones this week.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 10:55 AM   #1582
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

"Get the gear" ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3SFqV0hMyo
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 05:45 PM   #1583
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
There's a certain amount of that in running too, although for some reason a it's not so evident amongst trail runners and particularly absent in the canicross scene.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Photography too. I catch myself looking at which model of Canon or Nikon is hanging round someone's neck but then I'm not that fussed about having the best of everything as long as I'm enjoying it. You do see people with 5D4's and L lenses taking mundane snaps and you do wonder why spend thousands to do that when a reasonable compact would work just as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Same in Golf, people rock up in all the Callaway or Ping gear, with a remote controlled electric trolley the size of a smart car and play like 5hite, then you get the old guy with a small carry bag with half a set of irons and a three wood ( no driver - a flash driver can cost as much as a set of irons ) and blitzes the course. There is a saying in golf 'driver for show, putter for dough' ..... (no good getting onto the green in 2 shots and then take 4 or 5 putts ). There is another saying in golf that covers other sports / hobbies, 'all the gear and no idea'
Still I'm quite happy, because they sell off their barely used stuff when they upgrade, so I don't have to pay full price for it. Once it's on my bike you'd not notice it was not brand new
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 06:49 PM   #1584
Bibio
Mega Poster

fly fishing in a way has always been full of snobs but hey each to their own and all that.

i have in the past taught a fair few strangers with all the gear no idea to cast a fly line.

i was amazed at how much fly fishing rods have come in the past 10 years.. £60 will buy a rod that would have cost me £300 10 years ago to get the same kind of action. yes the expensive stuff is still very very expensive but i'll leave that for people with deep pockets.

FTR my fly rod and real are well over 20 years old... lol

the price of a days fishing has bloody shot up. what was one of my fave lochs was £10 all day is now £35, thankfully my local is still a good price but the hours have dropped.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 07:11 PM   #1585
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
fly fishing in a way has always been full of snobs but hey each to their own and all that.

i have in the past taught a fair few strangers with all the gear no idea to cast a fly line.

i was amazed at how much fly fishing rods have come in the past 10 years.. £60 will buy a rod that would have cost me £300 10 years ago to get the same kind of action. yes the expensive stuff is still very very expensive but i'll leave that for people with deep pockets.

FTR my fly rod and real are well over 20 years old... lol

the price of a days fishing has bloody shot up. what was one of my fave lochs was £10 all day is now £35, thankfully my local is still a good price but the hours have dropped.
That's progress in carbon fibre technology

I think my Aldi fly rod is better than the fibreglass fly rod I made myself over 40years ago. I've still got my Mitchell fly reel from when I was a teenager.

I've got a lovely carbon blank that I must get round to building up, but it'd be cheaper to go buy a new one.
Old 23-09-18, 08:30 PM   #1586
Bibio
Mega Poster

i used to make my own rods when i was younger as it was cheeper than buying them and the shop was just up the road from me and a great bunch of older gents who were always very helpful, taught me a lot.

my first shop bought fly rod is the one i still use and is a Diawa Whisker WF98. its still sought after as the action is nice.

Mitchell auto by chance?

i had a look at some new hardware for a spare whisker i have and it aint cheep (£4-6 a ring) if you want the latest. so yes it would be cheeper and probably a better rod buying something. depending on what the blank is and how old you might get a good price for it on ebay.
Old 24-09-18, 05:43 AM   #1587
maviczap
Mega Poster

Diawa whiskers were always nice, I remember my local shop trying to sell me one of the first coarse rods.

Think you're right, I should just go and buy a new fly rod, although there is a lot of pleasure making your own.

Nope, it's just a normal Mitchell, I remember the one you mean.

All my fly fishing stuff was bought from from a lovely shop in the centre of Edinburgh, Bet it's long gone
Old 24-09-18, 10:35 AM   #1588
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

I, like loads of folk have set ways of doing stuff. Including how I take my heart medication. So yesterdayI opened the box of Beta blockers and there was non in it. No idea where they could be as I keep a little box with that stuff on the kitchen table and put things straight back (we move it up up up when the Grandchildren turn up). Searched all around and found nowt. Today I empty the dishwasher and find them in the cuttlery draw when I put the cuttlery away ???. A complete mystery.
Old 24-09-18, 10:54 AM   #1589
Bibio
Mega Poster

i'm happy enough to sit and tie flies just now so buying new gear is low on the list. fly fishing all depends on how well i get in the next 6 months.

there is nothing like the feeling you get when you catch that first fish on a rod and flies you have made yourself

its all well saying that you want a new rod but are you ever going to use it as i know how busy you are.

might have been Simpsons, west preston street. or the posh one just off princes street.
Old 24-09-18, 10:55 AM   #1590
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
I, like loads of folk have set ways of doing stuff. Including how I take my heart medication. So yesterdayI opened the box of Beta blockers and there was non in it. No idea where they could be as I keep a little box with that stuff on the kitchen table and put things straight back (we move it up up up when the Grandchildren turn up). Searched all around and found nowt. Today I empty the dishwasher and find them in the cuttlery draw when I put the cuttlery away ???. A complete mystery.
no mystery, your going senile..