SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-05-16, 07:38 AM   #1
PhilSV

Default Bike Itch

As much as I love/hate my SV I do have a hankering after something with a few more ponies for track days.

I was thinking a GSXR750 but thought it may be a bit much, so thought a cbr600rr at 115bhp would be a fairly sensible step up from the sv's 70.

My sv's been the biggest thing Ive ever owned, and its not for sale, whatever I buy Ill keep the old girl incase I find I dont like my new steed.

Ive had friends say that having to thrash a 600 is hard work compared to the grunt of the sv, anyone else had any similar experiences?
PhilSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-16, 08:21 AM   #2
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike Itch

I wouldn't say it's hard work... It's certainly different.

I found that riding an IL4 600 at the same speeds as the SV was simple. TBH the bike almost felt as if it was bored. It does depend on what type of riding you are doing. 90% of ny riding is high speed A & B roads around Scotland where the lack of bottom end is more negligible compared to the extra GO there is at the top end.

I'll be honest that I got addicted to chasing that top end manic rush of an IL4 600, so much so I had to have a sit down and think about things. I was either gonna wrap myself round something or get caught and not collect £200.

The best thing you can do though is get a test ride on some different bikes and definitely have a go on the Triumph 675s, they are a like an SV on steroids.

Just remembered that you said track days. GET IN THERE AND GET A 600 OR 675 YOU'LL LOVE IT!!!

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )

Last edited by carelesschucca; 03-05-16 at 08:22 AM.
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-16, 08:46 AM   #3
PhilSV

675 is out of budget !! Would love a 675R gorgeous. seen a couple of 05/06 cbr's at £3400ish. Test rides arent possible as Im missing the right leg, so its a case of go for something and then mod it to suit.

Cheers for the input
Old 03-05-16, 07:27 PM   #4
PyroUK
Mega Poster

It's a shame the 675 is out of budget, I was similar to you and wanted something with a bit more poke for track.

Ended up with a 2011 Daytona 675, not an r but bloody incredible!

The grunt from the triple was less of a change to an il4, I test rode an r6 and it was mental quick but needed to be worked whereas the triple is mental quick and just goes!

Also the Daytona is tiny much like the SV, which is great for commuting can slip though some almost non existent gaps
Old 03-05-16, 07:28 PM   #5
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Oh and also as chucca said, the extra go at the top end can be quite addictive when you look at those types of bike and need to be able to keep that in check!
Old 03-05-16, 07:58 PM   #6
theenglishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSV View Post
.. I do have a hankering after something with a few more ponies ...
Scratch that itch! Soon!

100-120HP is the sweet spot for me.
theenglishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-16, 10:22 PM   #7
Balky001
Mega Poster

I'd be surprised if you'd miss the 'grunt' especially on track.
One thing you might miss is the engine braking but get something with a slipper clutch and whack it down the box
Old 03-05-16, 11:15 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

older R1, plenty around and cheep. its a track bike your going to crash at some point so no point is something shiny.

dont bother with IL4 600's they are screamers on track.

strip it to bare min, whack a big back sprocket on (you want to hit max speed as quick as possible even if it means dropping it by 10-20mph) , giggle your feking head off, or scare yourself silly....
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-16, 05:10 AM   #9
PhilSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
older R1, plenty around and cheep. its a track bike your going to crash at some point so no point is something shiny.
That was going to be my next question ..... anything sub £3k that you'd recommend. Im pretty careful on track but Ive had 2 people come too close to taking me out, and then I got on the gas chasing Nutz at cadwell, too hard and too early, while lent over. Shes still shiny but if she had met the tarmac I wouldnt be looking at a great deal of my hard earned in the back of the recovery vehicle!!
Old 04-05-16, 07:24 AM   #10
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Personally I think you were pretty much spot on with your first choice..... GSXR750s are the perfect compromise between the manic 600s and the expensive to run 1000s, especially if you're doing track days. They are every bit as engaging to ride as the 600 but with a little more power and flexibility making them so much better on the roads, and they won't destroy a rear tyre in just the morning sessions......

The only downside with the 750 is everybody else knows how good they are and they tend to hold their value. Having said that for £3k you would be able to pick up a very tidy SRAD or even a K2 K3 model.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote