SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-02-10, 09:18 PM   #1
GaryP

Default Bandit 1200 - anyone got one? Like it?

Just been offered a 1999 Bandit 1200 in great nick and low miles.

Anybody own one and want to give their opinion?
Old 17-02-10, 09:21 PM   #2
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bandit 1200 - anyone got one? Like it?

I only had a 600, but would like one too I think, probably more than a 1250 anyway.
It might help if you say what kind, faired or naked, & what you want it for & what's your experience.

Last edited by Stu; 17-02-10 at 09:32 PM.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-10, 09:22 PM   #3
Lozzo

Owned a 600 Bandit for 3 years, loved it.

Ridden quite a few 1200s and loved them even more.
Old 17-02-10, 11:22 PM   #4
GaryP

I would be buying it as a Sunday toy to add to my SV650 naked which is a daily user.

It's a 1200 naked. I also had the 600 some years ago and loved it but it needed a bit more 'go' which the 1200 certainly has.

As to experience, I've been riding bikes since I was 16 and am now 45. I've ridden pretty much all sorts you can imagine from 50cc scooters to 1200 Harleys, sportbikes, nakeds and retros. Love muscle bikes the best as they combine power and decent looks with the sense of a 'real' bike.

Love my SV too as it's frugal, fun and easy to handle. Also very easy to park in Brighton where I live.
Old 17-02-10, 11:30 PM   #5
LK-SV

Can't go wrong if its a good price ......virtually nil depreciation on a good one ...
Old 18-02-10, 07:45 AM   #6
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Good morning all.

Early 1200's are pretty good, & are pretty reliable. Some of them suffered from premature camshaft wear which you can't see unless you remove the cam cover, & often can't hear either.
A lot of them get mucked about, with the addition of badly fitted go faster accessories. Such as; Carb wearing Dynojet kits etc. Buy wisely, & if you get a good one you'll have lots of fun

Cheers.
Old 18-02-10, 08:57 AM   #7
GaryP

Thanks. The one I'm looking at hasn't been messed about with and is standard apart from a noisy can. The owner's got the original too for MOT.
Old 18-02-10, 10:58 PM   #8
GaryP

Went to look at the bike tonight, liked it and made an offer which was accepted.

Fortunately I HPI'd it and it turned out to be a Cat D write off.

Normally wouldn't bother me but it was written off shortly after it was new so despite being Cat D was serious enough price wise to be more expensive to repair than a new one.

Glad I did it and glad the seller was understanding. It seems it came as a shock to him too, poor fella.
Old 18-02-10, 11:45 PM   #9
-Ralph-

Ridden the 1250, interested in opinions on that?

If not PM Suicidesam, he had a 1200 for a couple of years.
Old 19-02-10, 05:03 AM   #10
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryP View Post
Went to look at the bike tonight, liked it and made an offer which was accepted.

Fortunately I HPI'd it and it turned out to be a Cat D write off.

Normally wouldn't bother me but it was written off shortly after it was new so despite being Cat D was serious enough price wise to be more expensive to repair than a new one.

Glad I did it and glad the seller was understanding. It seems it came as a shock to him too, poor fella.
I would have just seen that as a tool to haggle the price a little lower. Cat D just means it would have cost more to repair that to have replaced it for a new motorcycle. That is not uncommon in the motorcycle world. There is a lot of expensive work involved in stripping down a motorcycle to replace a scratched frame for example.

Bandit 1200. Hooligan tool of the 90's. Fantastic reliable engine. Poor quality build. Commuters friend. If I were buying it for commuting, I'd get the half faired one for the extra comfort. But then my commute is 70 miles each way.