SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-05-15, 04:43 PM   #41
Tamsen Cooper

Default Re: New girl sets up a SV650 YouTube channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post

I would also add, make sure you're wearing full kit in case the worst does happen.
I would second that, in my accident my full kit meant I had whiplash and soft tissue damage and not anything significantly more substantial. I wear full leathers, SIDI boots, SHARK 900 helmet and reinforced gloves. The gloves were torn down to the plastic on the knuckles, I am guessing that would have been bone. I nod at everyone I pass, scooter, 125, full bike, old bike etc. but it scares the hell out of me when I see (usually younger) people in trainers, shorts, hell in Cornwall I have even seen flip flops *face palms*

I ride with lights on always, my leathers are blue and black, the helmet has loads of white on and reflective strips, and with no baffles in, the blue flame exhaust it is loud as anything (I love it!) and still numpties pull out on me!
Tamsen Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-15, 05:41 PM   #42
Bibio
Mega Poster

it does not matter how day glow you make yourself if the other driver/rider dont look in the first place and in events like those there is nothing you can do. no training in the world will stop you being T-Boned.

if people want to ride in flip flops and shorts that its their problem if they come off and personally they deserve everything they get but its up to them.

only advice i can give is ''head up, eyes open and brain on''. riding a motorbike is not so much about control but observation, with observation the control comes naturally.

rider error is something completely different and is usually the result of people riding beyond their ability and fear due to self preservation. one of the biggest causes of people crashing due to rider error is target fixation and it takes a lot of road hours to be able to combat this, its not something that can be taught and target fixation usually comes as part of fear and mistrust in the ability of the motorcycle. trust me on this, modern motorbikes are far more capable than most people would think. going 'hot' into a corner most people would apply the brakes and shut the throttle when in fact they should just lean the bike over a bit further and hold a steady throttle. those metal pegs on the bottom of your foot rest are an indicator and the reason each different make of motorbike has different lengths is due to the tire contact patch, when you are scraping the pegs then you are running out of tire contact patch. but most people panic at the lean angle and shut the throttle or even worse brake which results in the eyes looking straight ahead and 'fixating' on a target. ''if in doubt ride it out''. your bike will go where your eyes are looking.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-15, 07:47 PM   #43
NTECUK
Mega Poster

One of the IAM guys got caught up by a car that suddenly turned across his path.
The car driver was looking for a picnic spot!
Old 29-05-15, 07:59 PM   #44
ChrisCurvyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
it does not matter how day glow you make yourself if the other driver/rider dont look in the first place and in events like those there is nothing you can do. no training in the world will stop you being T-Boned.

if people want to ride in flip flops and shorts that its their problem if they come off and personally they deserve everything they get but its up to them.

only advice i can give is ''head up, eyes open and brain on''. riding a motorbike is not so much about control but observation, with observation the control comes naturally.

rider error is something completely different and is usually the result of people riding beyond their ability and fear due to self preservation. one of the biggest causes of people crashing due to rider error is target fixation and it takes a lot of road hours to be able to combat this, its not something that can be taught and target fixation usually comes as part of fear and mistrust in the ability of the motorcycle. trust me on this, modern motorbikes are far more capable than most people would think. going 'hot' into a corner most people would apply the brakes and shut the throttle when in fact they should just lean the bike over a bit further and hold a steady throttle. those metal pegs on the bottom of your foot rest are an indicator and the reason each different make of motorbike has different lengths is due to the tire contact patch, when you are scraping the pegs then you are running out of tire contact patch. but most people panic at the lean angle and shut the throttle or even worse brake which results in the eyes looking straight ahead and 'fixating' on a target. ''if in doubt ride it out''. your bike will go where your eyes are looking.
Second that. And even if you do run out of lean angle or grip, a lowside crash is usually less serious then standing the bike up and going off the road into trees, walls etc.
ChrisCurvyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-15, 07:09 AM   #45
Tamsen Cooper

Hey all, as of this morning, my videos have achieved 1500 views! I am pretty chuffed so thank you to all those on here that have watched, subscribed and commented. I am going to try and sit down today and put together the GoPro footage from my 85 mile trip around the north coast of cornwall- some incredible views!
Old 31-05-15, 10:32 AM   #46
Tamsen Cooper

**NEW VIDEO**

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Hear me giggle as I accelerate up a big hill, drive up onto the sand at a beach, and enjoy driving fast down country lanes with incredible views! Cornwall is an awesome place to ride!

I have had the time to edit this morning as it is raining, however, I have a microphone being delivered today so should be able to do some talking in my upcoming videos if the sun comes out this afternoon!

Last edited by Tamsen Cooper; 31-05-15 at 07:57 PM.
Old 31-05-15, 11:40 AM   #47
Geodude
Mega Poster

Cracking place to ride quite jelous

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-15, 06:35 PM   #48
MJC-DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamsen Cooper View Post
**NEW VIDEO**

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Hear me giggle as I accelerate up a big hill, drive up onto the sand at a beach, and enjoy driving fast down country lanes with incredible views!
'cause it emmet season in Falmouth now so I'm a bit wary of 'the fast down country lanes' thing and the buggers don't pull over when I'm trying to get to Asda roundabout on the way home from work :0

Last edited by MJC-DEV; 31-05-15 at 06:37 PM.
MJC-DEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-15, 07:43 PM   #49
Tamsen Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC-DEV View Post
'cause it emmet season in Falmouth now so I'm a bit wary of 'the fast down country lanes' thing and the buggers don't pull over when I'm trying to get to Asda roundabout on the way home from work :0
Yeah it is! Those nuisance blinky things on the side of their car don't work (indicators are so tiresome darling), They actively move their cars to the middle line to stop you filtering past and with the roads so gridlocked with the roundabout changes they are doing up from Falmouth school with the traffic lights a bike is really the only sensible option!

Awesome to see a local here, I will be sure to look out for you on the roads!

**NEW VIDEOS UPLOADED**

Admire the beautiful view with me around Falmouth and watch my misses drive my car too fast!
YouTube Video

Another one to follow later as I sort out my Hein Gerricke leathers...

Last edited by Tamsen Cooper; 31-05-15 at 07:57 PM.
Old 31-05-15, 07:50 PM   #50
Geodude
Mega Poster

Dont know if its just me but your video links on here dont work but i can watch them on your youtube page directly?

Just testing direct link for myself...

YouTube Video

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote